Honored Contributor

Re: QVC staff, managers, CEO's --- please read

@millieshops wrote:

When I read the doom and gloom about QVC's results, I went to my favorite financial sites and read what's happening in the industry as a whole.  That's very  informative.

Pick out the companies you like to shop with and read their results -  not just for one quarter though.  Just one example -  I went through a period a few years back where I bought some clothing at Nordstrom almost every week - and often more than one piece.  In the last 18 months, I bought one item from them.  I thought I was the only one until I realized their stock dropped about 50% in the last year!

Our forum is a tiny group and we don't come close to agreeing what would make QVC better.  Further, we don't much do the big data comparisons a huge company does.  Doesn't mean we don't have some good ideas.  Does mean what I want is like a drop of rain falling into Lake Erie -  wouldn't really change their results.

Every good rain storm or flood, starts with just a couple of drops of rain. 

I get the feeling some here think people shouldn't offer up ideas/desires/concerns with Q's practices. That is just not right. These boards are monitored and Q does indeed know what is being said on them, as well as in social media, direct letters/emails to executives, and most importantly, what is said with the increase or decrease in sales. It all works together to get the point across.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

When I read the doom and gloom about QVC's results, I went to my favorite financial sites and read what's happening in the industry as a whole.  That's very  informative.

Pick out the companies you like to shop with and read their results -  not just for one quarter though.  Just one example -  I went through a period a few years back where I bought some clothing at Nordstrom almost every week - and often more than one piece.  In the last 18 months, I bought one item from them.  I thought I was the only one until I realized their stock dropped about 50% in the last year!

Our forum is a tiny group and we don't come close to agreeing what would make QVC better.  Further, we don't much do the big data comparisons a huge company does.  Doesn't mean we don't have some good ideas.  Does mean what I want is like a drop of rain falling into Lake Erie -  wouldn't really change their results.

I get the feeling some here think people shouldn't offer up ideas/desires/concerns with Q's practices. That is just not right. These boards are monitored and Q does indeed know what is being said on them, as well as in social media, direct letters/emails to executives, and most importantly, what is said with the increase or decrease in sales. It all works together to get the point across.

I think very few, if any, posters truly "think people shouldn't offer up ideas/desires/concerns", but if they find a particular idea, desire or concern impractical, pointless or however they feel, this is an open forum in that they may express their *opinion* of the *suggestion* as long as they do so in a way that doesn't violate Standards. Trying to make one area "hands off" to commentary really is censorship of a kind I don't believe QVC wants to engage in.

My opinion about this generally is that *someone* from QVC may read comments and suggestions, broadly, but (1) it would be very time-consuming to take the time to read *every one*, (2) I don't think *every* comment that is read is passed on, and (3) Just because a comment might be read and might be passed on doesn't mean it will be acted upon. Not to mention, if every single comment/suggestion were passed on, those higher up the chain of command would be deluged and would likely just throw up their hands at the sheer number.

Anyone should be able to suggest, but I don't think it's realistic, as some posters feel, that *their* specific request ought to be/will be immediately implemented, and be very upset that their suggestion doesn't come to pass. To me it's just common sense that not everyone's want is going to be deemed worthy.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

Reading financial reports of any company is one thing.  Interesting, but not conclusive.  Understanding a company's business model, investment strategy, industry analytics, economics, equity, and accounting methods is a much deeper dive. It's far too easy to look at numbers and see them increasing or decreasing and come up with what we may think is an obvious reason for the results.  It's much more difficult to determine actual corporate financial climate without far more detailed knowledge of the entire company. 

There is nothing this Forum can tell QVC corporate that they don't already know.  [Not that they would ever come here for business advice from you or me.]  It's all in the decisions (some good and some bad) they make based on everything they know about their business. 

@Caaareful Shopper

When the CEO of QVC comes out and admits to the stockholders they had a decline .....to me THAT SAYS SOMETHING!!  The facts have been stated!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@corita wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

I am sure QVC can analyze its own business without needing to resort to speculation by people who have little to no insight into the company and its practices by people on a message board -- people whose sole purpose seems to be complainaing about QVC.

---------------------------------

No one said that Q couldn't analyze their business!! But reading their recent business report, apparently they are not doing a good job of correcting issues!  I thought the thread "Q DID WHAT? Interesting results 2nd quarter 2016" gave some good insight into the reasons people are dropping off from buying at the Q.   I really don't think that people who wrote on the thread had the sole purpose of complaining. I think they really don't like the direction the Q is taking!

So, I beg to differ...every single company  - that I know of and worked for - always paid attention to their clients' feedback!  The goal is to please and satisfy the client or the client will go somewhere else to purchase!!  I don't consider feedback equal to complaining; I guess you do!  It is something that should be considered in every company's business plan -- good or bad!!

Every single company does not, however, implement every single suggestion made by every single customer. Just because something is suggested does not mean it has worth to the business, no matter how much the individual, or the ten individuals, thinks it does.

"Hey you CEO guys, pay attention! All you need to do is listen to me, just do as I'm telling you, and yay, problem solved, easy peasy" - NOT.

It's not just ONE PERSON....read all across the Forums and you will see LOTS of complaints and did you read the CEO's statement.....he further went on to explain that decline in sales were from long time customers!!!  As customers we have the right to provide feedback!!!  There were comments in that thread from many customers....and they say one complaint equals 800 people....  We don't need to be lectured we have the right as a consumer to state our opinion...

There are many retail companies I bet had listened to their customers.....even at our grocery store chain they have surveys.....every store I visited this weekend I was told by the cashier please complete the survey on the website using this number, she circled it with a pen on my receipt...5 stores.....so if customer feedback isn't important why are ALL these companies doing it!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@corita wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@corita wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

I am sure QVC can analyze its own business without needing to resort to speculation by people who have little to no insight into the company and its practices by people on a message board -- people whose sole purpose seems to be complainaing about QVC.

No one said that Q couldn't analyze their business!! But reading their recent business report, apparently they are not doing a good job of correcting issues!  I thought the thread "Q DID WHAT? Interesting results 2nd quarter 2016" gave some good insight into the reasons people are dropping off from buying at the Q.   I really don't think that people who wrote on the thread had the sole purpose of complaining. I think they really don't like the direction the Q is taking!

So, I beg to differ...every single company  - that I know of and worked for - always paid attention to their clients' feedback!  The goal is to please and satisfy the client or the client will go somewhere else to purchase!!  I don't consider feedback equal to complaining; I guess you do!  It is something that should be considered in every company's business plan -- good or bad!!

Every single company does not, however, implement every single suggestion made by every single customer. Just because something is suggested does not mean it has worth to the business, no matter how much the individual, or the ten individuals, thinks it does.

-------------------------

You are right...so I guess we should just NOT EVER make suggestions or give constructive criticisms???   I am glad that you are happy with the direction the Q is taking...many posters are not!!!

@corita

It just blows my mind that people harrass anyone making suggestions.   Constructive feedback to a company is important, you want to see them make changes in order to keep you as a customer,  but why would someone waste their valuable time making sure no one writes anything negative about QVC---strange hobby!

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@corita wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@corita wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

You are right...so I guess we should just NOT EVER make suggestions or give constructive criticisms???   I am glad that you are happy with the direction the Q is taking...many posters are not!!!

LOL! Au contraire - say whatever you like. The point is, no one at QVC who can make the changes you want them to make is going to see it (or, honestly, care).

I know that whatever I think of a business (or anything else), there's no reason for them to pay the slightest attention to it. I make my opinion known by buying or not buying, but I don't fool myself that even that will make a difference.

@Moonchilde

Then why is it that I hear hosts say, "we heard you and we changed the product because of your feedback"...... or "this was at the request of QVC customers"....... Now they won't put every suggestion into practice, but at least they may implement SOME....and some is better than nothing!  Also I have seen suggestions in the Home/Holiday category where the QVC Moderator jumped in and said she/he would forward the comments on.....Even the mods are taking notice!!

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

@Mominohio

I think this guy knows a little something that we're talking about......

Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning. – Bill Gates

Honored Contributor

@Spurt. Yes, but what does it really tell us? I read more of the business results that have been published recently.  Both HSN and QVC are specifically mentioned.  A lot of the analysis seems to direct the trouble at the changing demographics, coupled with TV retailers being too slow to integrate social media and shopping APPs into the sales mix.

The prized demographic -- the millennials -- are spending money using anything but regularTV to make the purchase.   They don't watch cable as much, they watch Netflix, Hulu, and video blogs.  Neither my 27 year old son, or my 30 year old niece even have or want cable.  They say they get all news, events, and everything online. They do their shopping via social media and retail APPs. 

So when folks complain that QVC keeps telling everyone to use their APP on their phone & tablets, it's for a very good reason.  But QVC's traditional customer is resistant to change and the group that is already using APPs has been shopping the competition instead of waiting for what QVC to catch up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Spurt. Yes, but what does it really tell us? I read more of the business results that have been published recently.  Both HSN and QVC are specifically mentioned.  A lot of the analysis seems to direct the trouble at the changing demographics, coupled with TV retailers being too slow to integrate social media and shopping APPs into the sales mix.

The prized demographic -- the millennials -- are spending money using anything but regularTV to make the purchase.   They don't watch cable as much, they watch Netflix, Hulu, and video blogs.  Neither my 27 year old son, or my 30 year old niece even have or want cable.  They say they get all news, events, and everything online. They do their shopping via social media and retail APPs. 

So when folks complain that QVC keeps telling everyone to use their APP on their phone & tablets, it's for a very good reason.  But QVC's traditional customer is resistant to change and the group that is already using APPs has been shopping the competition instead of waiting for what QVC to catch up.

@Caaareful Shopper

It has nothing to do with AAPS and electronic ordering....that's in QV's report too every quarter....their orders from their website and AAPS keeps going up and up and up.....that's not the problem... oh sure there are still a few "old school" customers that want that personal touch ( or are lonely) and continue to order by phone....but that method of purchasing is getting smaller and smaller.  Of course QVC doesn't help weaning the old school off the phones when the hosts say, "ask your order operator about this companion piece"...... or "check sizing with your order operator"......But QVC is doing well in that respect, and many customers are saying they are no longer watching and just ordering online or with their AAP!

QVC Mobile orders were 58% of total eCommerce orders in the quarter, compared to 49% a year ago.

Zulily Mobile orders maintained positive growth and came in at 63% of total orders placed in the quarter, compared to 56% in the year prior.

QVC CEO, Michael George, said in his quarterly conference call, that the company saw a deceleration in demand late in the previous quarter. However, he pointed out that according to its surveys, customers are not going to Amazon instead of QVC.  

“The biggest drop was clearly in fashion, which had been the thing that was propelling our business,” he said, comparing the drop to the last recession. “The sales shortfall is with our best customers,” he continued, saying that those are heavy users who can make dozens of QVC purchases monthly.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@corita wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@corita wrote:

@KYToby wrote:

LOL! Au contraire - say whatever you like. The point is, no one at QVC who can make the changes you want them to make is going to see it (or, honestly, care).

I know that whatever I think of a business (or anything else), there's no reason for them to pay the slightest attention to it. I make my opinion known by buying or not buying, but I don't fool myself that even that will make a difference.

@Moonchilde

Then why is it that I hear hosts say, "we heard you and we changed the product because of your feedback"...... or "this was at the request of QVC customers"....... Now they won't put every suggestion into practice, but at least they may implement SOME....and some is better than nothing!  Also I have seen suggestions in the Home/Holiday category where the QVC Moderator jumped in and said she/he would forward the comments on.....Even the mods are taking notice!!

@Spurt, certainly *some* suggestions (presumably those most agreed-upon throughout the forum that it's relatively simple for QVC to implement) are acted upon. My main point was that not *all* of them should be *expected* to be acted upon, as some posters expect; some might be, some won't be.

And honestly, the moderators may "pass it on", but that doesn't mean QVC will do more than read it, shrug and round-file it.

I'm not saying that they pay no attention to any suggestion ever; I'm saying that not every poster who suggests something can or should expect it to be implemented just because they made the suggestion. Some posters seem pretty strident and demanding with their "suggestions", which are not actually presented as suggestions but as angry, whiny demands. "I WANT this, so you need to DO IT!" That's what I find...inappropriate, expectation-wise.

Not every suggestion is logical, practical, easily done or, most importantly, able to enrich QVC's coffers rather thsn deplete them for little/no return.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all