Respected Contributor

Re: QVC misleading in Memorial Day Weekend Clearance Sale

"While that is accurate, I find this message misleading at best, deceptive at worse."

That's the name of the game of any retailer.  As long as it's accurate, the rest is up to the individual whether to be mislead or deceived.

Honored Contributor

Honestly - I don't pay attention to anything QVC claims with the words "clearance" or "sale" in it. It's a joke. Their idea of a "special price" is $2 off, just like CVS giving 25% off coupons, excluding "sale items" from the coupon, and marking every item "on sale" for $1 less, so you can't use the coupon on 90% of merchandise.

Retailers think customers are stupid. They *count* on that belief. In some respects they do well from it. They can claim to be offering bargains with one hand, while rendering the bargain invalid with the other. 

"Sale" prices are not $1-3 off, or with most merchandise exempt. When retailers consistently use these tactics I do not buy from them, not only because the "sales" AREN'T, but because they insult my intelligence.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

This is in no way misleaing, and it in no way implies that these are special just for memorial day.  While you are inferring thi it is on you -- not QVC.

As far as the seledtion of merchandise, if you do not like the selection or the pricing, do not buy anything.  Seriously?  You have nothing better to do than invent controversies and omplain about something so silly?

I respectfully disagree.  The banner says Memorial Day  Weekend Clearance Sale. These items have been on sale for weeks to months.  Memorial Day has nothing to do with the pricing.  These are just normal clearance items and there is no need to hilight them as part of the weekend celebration. They will still be available after this weekend.  If you are going to advertise a weekend clearance sale then the items should be those that either haven't been on sale until now OR reduced clearance pricing for the weekend.  Otherwise it's not truly a sale.

Honored Contributor

A sale to me is not a couple dollars off .... not in my world at least!  And I'm very aware of pricing, and have seen my local stores put a bright sale price on an item several dollars MORE than it was when I purchased it the week prior (not on sale).  Come on!

What angers me the most is 1) I'm intelligent and know pricing/merchandise, and 2) I remember the pricing!

Most people are 1 and 2 however they've been conditioned regarding these retail tricks. But they buy anyway because they need/want the item.  So the conclusion the retail world comes to is that the customer just doesn't see it or understand....

Yes we do...  Woman Frustrated 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

I emailed CS what I posted here and asked:

I would like an explanation as to the point of advertising a Memorial
Weekend Clearance Sale with merchandise that has been on clearance for
awhile and will continue to be after the weekend passes.

This is the response I received:

Thank you for emailing QVC. Ms. Dorn,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you feel.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's customers like you who help QVC continue to
grow and improve.

I'll forward your suggestion and question to the appropriate area.

Regards,

DeLaine

I guess what I expected but nothing in the reply stating I will gt a response from "the appropriate area".  I am no longer surprised by anything after the recent Calista Hair Roller TSV kit.  It was a TSV 3 yrs ago and received pretty dismal reviews (over 1100 with less than 3 star rating), I've heard the hosts on air talk about what it takes for something to be approved as a TSV and how the TSV committee votes on it.  Sad that product quality doesn't seem to be one of the requirements.

Honored Contributor

Seems misleading to me.
Contributor

For years I've laughed at the so-called "clearance" prices at QVC that are barely 10% less than than the price the item was selling for previously. In stores, when I see "clearance" I expect a markdown of around 40-50% (or more). So unless the item is one I've had on my wish list for ages and really love, I'm generally not enticed by a clearance item.