Trusted Contributor

QVC misleading in Memorial Day Weekend Clearance Sale

Customer Care,

I usually let things like this go, knowing it's a marketing ploy,  but this time I needed to say something.  When I went to the home page, I see this Memorial Day banner and when clicking to go see the clearance sale it states I will save 25% - 50% off the QVC price.  

Memorial Day Weekend Clearance Sale

Save 25–50% off the QVC Price on the items below, plus shop by category. For other deals, see our full selection of clearance prices.

While that is accurate, I find this message misleading at best, deceptive at worse. To me, it is implied, but not stated, that this is a special selection of clearance items just for the Memorial Day Weekend.  As I went through the 4 pages of the sale, I noticed that many items were recent lunchtime specials and items that have been at the clearance price for months.

Example - J291799 Judith Ripka Sterling 10.80 ct tw Multi-Gemstone Hinged Cuff at clearance price of $599.  It's been at this reduced priced since 2/28/16.  A262908 Lisa Rinna Collection Knit Motorcycle Jacket with Asymmetric Zip was an LTS at $42.98 on 5/18/16 and went back to it's original clearance price of $59.92 after the LTS price expired. J296788 Barbara Bixby Sterling & 18k Multi-Gemstone Lilly Pad Frog Ring clearance priced at $199.  It's been this price since 4/20/16.

I am disappointed that QVC is hilighting old clearance merchandise and has captioned it in such a way to make your customers think these are new clearance markdowns or that the clearance price is only good for the Memorial Day Weekend.

If QVC is going to market a Memorial Day clearance sale, then don't bring out the old clearance items and try to put a red bow on them.  Actually give us clearance prices on new items or reduced clearance prices good for the weekend, similiar to your recent jewelry flash sale.

This kind of marketing, for me, is dishonest ,and I'm disappointed that QVC finds it acceptable.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC misleading in Memorial Day Weekend Clearance Sale

@vickie25

Again Q showing they think their customer base is stupid.

So many great sales on the internet and at the stores this weekend.

Trusted Contributor

This is in no way misleaing, and it in no way implies that these are special just for memorial day.  While you are inferring thi it is on you -- not QVC.

As far as the seledtion of merchandise, if you do not like the selection or the pricing, do not buy anything.  Seriously?  You have nothing better to do than invent controversies and omplain about something so silly?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KYToby wrote:

This is in no way misleaing, and it in no way implies that these are special just for memorial day.  While you are inferring thi it is on you -- not QVC.

As far as the seledtion of merchandise, if you do not like the selection or the pricing, do not buy anything.  Seriously?  You have nothing better to do than invent controversies and omplain about something so silly?

In your fired up state you forgot to spell check. 

Trusted Contributor

this also was the case yesterday with the "flash jewelry sale"  advertized as 25% off price for 2 hours only.  Yes, 25% off original price or "retail" price but not 25% off  the current price.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this very right on thread.  It shows the intelligence of QVC shoppers.

I too have notice that these clearance items are the same old, same old stuff.  It seems nothing moves out of the QVC warehouse.  It just hangs around.

I can't get my mind around the thinking here.  It could be something about not letting go like hoarders.  Maybe that's it.

If you want variety, sales and genuine markdowns, shop HSN.

Frequent Contributor

I absolutely agree that it's misleading!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I read a on line story a while back about a study on pricing policies done by some consumer group naming the worst offenders using ploys to entice the customers into thinking they were getting a great deal.  The worst offender according to this story was QVC.  They listed about 15 different pricing categories that QVC assigned to a product from TSV's to OTO to clearance and everything in between.  Think about it when was the last time you saw clothing in a regular store that was on a clearance rack be taken off clearance and marked back up in price but QVC does it.  Even when a brick and motor store has special markdowns they may offer a edition all 25% off a clearance item but when that promotion ends the item is still at the clearance price the store doesn't mark it back up again but QVC plays games like that all the time.  In fact I cannot remember when I last saw a item presented on air that did not have some sort of "special pricing" attached to it.

Honored Contributor

agree with OP, but if I'm looking for clearance I'm not shopping here, they took that word out of the QDictionary :-)  

Honored Contributor

It was exactly the same last Memorial Day. And Labor Day... and whatever other holiday sales they advertise across special banners. I don't even bother looking most of the time.

They DID have some actual sales around Christmas and I got a Bose speaker at a really good price.