Trusted Contributor

Please stop internet stalking

QVC ads stalk customers throughout the net.  The ads are obtrusive and a bit scary.  They take up more than a third of the screen, interrupting articles, causing unwanted page breaks and filling side, top bottom margins. The ads use QVC shopping history Showing things the customer has viewed or purchased in the past.  I never asked to be followed around the internet. Please cease and desist.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Please stop internet stalking

If it's just QVC alone that's stalking you around the internet consider yourself lucky. I find no matter where I go on my computer "they" follow me. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CoG 

I agree, but I installed AdBlockerPlus and now I get NO ads on any site I visit, love it!

ETA: AdBlockerPlus has a free version and a version that you pay for, I use the free version. 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

What I find is nuts is that, when I, say, shop for something at home but decide against it, I will get a reminder ad at the office the next day.  It knows I am the same person on my home computer and my office computer.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

What is known about us is scary.

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

What I find is nuts is that, when I, say, shop for something at home but decide against it, I will get a reminder ad at the office the next day.  It knows I am the same person on my home computer and my office computer.

@Peaches McPhee 

At some point you must've visited the site from your office computer, that's how they would have the IP address of your work computer, that and 'cookies'.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@CoG 

I agree, but I installed AdBlockerPlus and now I get NO ads on any site I visit, love it!

ETA: AdBlockerPlus has a free version and a version that you pay for, I use the free version. 

I was just about to post the same suggestion until I saw your post. I have used it for years, and have not had to endure annoying, sometimes intrusive marketing ads. I am not speaking of QVC per se ( I love QVC ) just hundreds of marketing ads in general. However, I understand the need for online marketing in a highly competitive online retail market. I feel the same about the weekly onslaught of sales ads, and junk mail of all kinds, that fill my mailbox.😐 I understand it too, but sometimes I am influenced to buy from some of them.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom @SandySparkles 

Thanks for the  tip.  I have a question for you.  I went to their site to add Ad Blocker Plus and it have to agree to:

"It can read and change all the data on the websites you visit". 

That concerns me.  It is so broad and all encompassing.  My agreeing to something that broad I have given them permission to change my bank balance to a lower amount, or change the quantiy of an item I ordered, or the "ship to" address, etc.  I am not saying they would, but saying that broad statement - once it is agreed to - is all encompassing.  I understand that is not the purpose of Ad Blocker Plus, but that seems to be what I am giving permission to do.  This worries me. I acknowledge, I am one of those old-school people who really vaules my privacy and that is not the way of the future.  I just not comfortable giving up those rights.  Open to your thoughts/idea on the subject.

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

J C Penney is just as bad

Esteemed Contributor

It's definitely not just QVC.

In the past year I have bought Jockey panties twice from Macy's, the last time was in early December.  Today, I got in the mail, a post card from Jockey with coupons to buy directly from them on-line.  I have never had any direct dealings with Jockey, so I can only guess Macy's shares that information.