Valued Contributor
Accepted Solution

Package Received Today Smelled Like Petroleum, Horrible!

[ Edited ]

Today, I received a pair of Susan Graver floral (pink/black) liquid knit crop pants. When I opened the plastic packaging, the strong smell of petroleum filled the room. I immediately washed the pants. The smell is still there, and surprisingly, still just as strong. I am washing them one more time; if the horrible odor persists, these will be returned as defective. What happened with Quality Control on this item? Surely someone must have noticed the overpowering smell! One of the reviews for this item indicates that someone else had the same problem. I hope the second wash will do the trick, as I do not intend to wash a third time before I can even wear them. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Package Received Today Smelled Like Petroleum, Horrible!

Polyester IS a fabric made from petrolium, or to be blunt, plastic derived from crude oil.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

As many of us already know, that is correct. Believe me, I am from the “polyester era”, am a senior citizen, and have owned a very large number of items made of this fabric. Never once has a single one of them smelled like this item. 

Esteemed Contributor

Bug juice & other disinfectants to kill off the STINK BUGS - and other invaders we don't want imported to the USA from ________.

Frequent Contributor

Believe me, that smell will not go away.  NYDJ is horrible with that smell also.  Susan brags about all her good items.  They have became so pricey.  Someone needs to do a better job in quality control.  She is supposed to be the top seller at QVC.....But how many items are returned of hers?  Yes I have bought some of her items, but very picky with what I buy. 

Respected Contributor

Another reminder of a lovely long purple leather coat I bought that reeked of what smelled like kerosene. Sent that back right away and never ordered anything from that vendor again. 

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

Polyester IS a fabric made from petrolium, or to be blunt, plastic derived from crude oil.

@RoughDraft.  That has nothing to do with the smell on a new garment.  Look at all the poly sold that has no odor.   This was most likely from the insecticide with which shipping containers are sprayed.  It will not wash out.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I think there is a problem with black dye.  Many posters have talked of black denim items smelling horrible. I won't order black denim anything.