Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Happy to say mine doesn't scan it as "delivered" until he is just steps away from my door. Then leaves it in a spot I've arranged that is out of sight from passersby.

The guy is worth his weight in gold.💛

@x Hedge 

So is my regular UPS driver, but this was someone else.  And I didn't get a chance to catch him before he sped down the driveway.  We had the same driver (who drove the same route) for years.  I knew when a package would arrive within the hour he was so prompt.  Then a year or two ago, UPS started switching drivers and mixing up the routes.  The drivers hate it and I never know when anything will arrive.

My regular mail lady is wonderful though. 👍

Esteemed Contributor

The girl delivering yesterday needs attention ........

She refuses deliver my BirdSeed  because 20lbs is too heavy.

Since PO jobs are considered Gov jobs and hard to get also envied,  someone should look into her!

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

The girl delivering yesterday needs attention ........

She refuses deliver my BirdSeed  because 20lbs is too heavy.

Since PO jobs are considered Gov jobs and hard to get also envied,  someone should look into her!

@MalteseMomma 

Good thing she doesn't work for FedEx!  I get my pet food from a couple of companies that use them.  My boxes are often 40-50lbs.  I feel so sorry for my driver--usually it's a tiny little girl who really struggles.

Honored Contributor

I must be just fortunate as all my mail delivery people are so wonderful.

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

Happy to say mine doesn't scan it as "delivered" until he is just steps away from my door. Then leaves it in a spot I've arranged that is out of sight from passersby.

@x Hedge 

So is my regular UPS driver, but this was someone else.  And I didn't get a chance to catch him before he sped down the driveway.  We had the same driver (who drove the same route) for years.  I knew when a package would arrive within the hour he was so prompt.  Then a year or two ago, UPS started switching drivers and mixing up the routes.  The drivers hate it and I never know when anything will arrive.

Wonder if that's why I have a different UPS guy now.

Old guy rang the bell and left package out of sight.

New guy slaps the glass (as though that equals knocking) and dumps the package on the driveway, blocking me from being able to open the door.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@x Hedge wrote:

@x Hedge 

Wonder if that's why I have a different UPS guy now.

Old guy rang the bell and left package out of sight.

New guy slaps the glass (as though that equals knocking) and dumps the package on the driveway, blocking me from being able to open the door.

@x Hedge 

Yes, my old regular driver would knock on the door and leave my packages in the garage if I had the garage door open.  If not, he brought them around to the front porch and rang the bell, then left.  Now, they leave the packages outside the garage, rain or shine.  No knock.  No front porch delivery even if it's pouring rain.

I managed to talk to my old regular UPS driver about it.  He said that UPS (at least around here) now has everything managed by computer from start to finish.  According to him they now dictate not only which route he drives, but how he drives it.  They keep track of him on the road and will have him running zig-zag all over instead of letting him drive the way he did for years. He hates it.  The guys are never on the same route anymore and the computer makes him go out of his way half the time, somehow calculating that's better for the company.

I was asking him about the "We'll be in your area" thing and how they figure when to use it and when not.  He said that comes into our local warehouse already figured out by the computer now.  The local managers have nothing to do with it.  Or much of anything anymore, apparently.  

All I know is that I can have deliveries five days a week, and each day I can have a different driver.  And year round, not just at holiday rush time.

The only good thing is that most of the drivers still carry dog cookies with them.  😄

Super Contributor

Several years ago I had ordered something from Amazon.  I received a notice that it was undeliverable from the post office.  

I had been home all day and live in an urban area with good roads, and house well marked.

After several phone calls and emails, it turns out someone at the post office had picked up the package for delivery, but it wasn't on her routel  So she marked it as undeliverable.  I talked with the postmaster, and he said she was told that even if it wasn't on her route, since she had it she was to deliver it. 

I asked the postmaster who interviews the new hires and that lying is not acceptable. What if it had been a check? I haven't had a problem since, but that doesn't mean it can't happen again.

Respected Contributor

I had the same problem once.  I was home all day and the notice said that no one answered the bell - not home.

When I questioned the mail carrier, he said that it was the last item on his route and it was time for his shift to end - 5:00 PM, so he made that slip that no one answered the door.  I received the package the next day.

Honored Contributor

I'm in a rural area.  The carriers in this area are not federal employees; they are contractors and have to use their own vehicles.  They get no federal benefits.

Having said that, we used to have excellent postal service until our regular guy retired.  Now it's hit or miss.  I had someone leave a note in the mailbox saying they'd "attempted delivery" but no one was "at home to accept delivery".  Rubbish!  I and my DH were home all day.  I phoned the post office - turned out they'd put it on the wrong vehicle.  I asked WHY they lied about it and she said "They have to put something down as a reason for why it wasn't delivered."  WTH???  I picked it up myself.

I've had one idiot woman leave my package on the edge of the porch, in the rain AND on top she left my letters...this was a rainy, windy day.  I was out with a friend and came home to find letters blown all the way down my lawn.  She couldn't even have put them UNDER the package?  Let alone in the mailbox where they belonged?  I called the local office about that, too.

Another package from Amazon wasn't delivered because "too long to fit in vehicle".  But I was able to put it in my small car.  I asked what happens, if a customer can't collect a package she's paid for to have delivered to her door:  "We'd hold it for 15 days, then return it."  (Amazon was no help in this either.)

It's no use trying to contact the national post office customer service.  You end up in a queue with a "wait time is approximately one hour and forty minutes".  Send them an email and get nothing more than an automated response and no follow-up.

@MalteseMomma- I absolutely believe your experience and it's maddening.  And we're helpless to do anything about it.