Occasional Contributor

Need more quality control on the "reviews" that are allowed to be posted.

So many "reviews" of an item are more like comments.  "I can't wait to get this", "it will look good on me" "yay Harry, I'm glad your candles are back","can't wait to use this" or a one star review because someone who didn't even order, did not like the color selection..  These "reviews" just make it harder to fish out the real reviews to find out how people really like, use, what they don't like about an item.  "Reviews" are allowed before a person even receives an item or is even shipped out, in the case of Slatkin candles that got 5 star ratings . There needs to be stricter guidelines on what is considered a real review that will be helpful in selecting an item.

There is an option to vote "not helpful" on a review, but even if the "review" has all not helpful votes, it is kept in the reviews.

QVC needs to have stricter guidelines for actual reviews, and to enforce them to make the reviews more credible.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need more quality control on the "reviews" that are allowed to be posted.

I agree. You can only review something if you’ve purchased it. You have to “check” yes or no before reviewing so the computer should be able to check a persons account. 

Occasional Contributor

Good Idea!

Honored Contributor

I think the quality of the reviews has to start with the reviewers.  If I were doing quality control, I wouldn't print a huge percentage of what viewers and buyers write.   Image the outrage!

Occasional Contributor

That's a good point, there would definitly be outrage that someone's review was rejected.  I think the majority people who write the comments instead of reviews, or thoughts about the items without owning, won't change.  There used to be some guidelines about what is an acceptable/actual review. The problem with that was the person who wrote it  wasn't told what guidelines their review did not meet.  A long time ago I had a review rejected, of something that I talked about and actually purchased, and I got a notice that it was rejected.  It would have been helpful to know why it was rejected so I could have corrected my review to fit the guidelines.

Another online shopping channel, HSN, I guess I can mention that since they merged with QVC, doesn't let you review the item until a few days after you have actually received it.  If you try to review it right after receive it, a notice will pop up.  I think that would be a good start for the QVC reviews.

Respected Contributor

Some reviews are from people who have not  bought/used  product. IMHO worthless. Some sites will specify certified purchaser.

QVC  also changes item #  for “new” products that aren’t new, so old unfavorable reviews disappear.

Caveat Emptor !