Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: My Mother passed-away and I've been trying to have her QVC gift card funds transfered to my acco

We are presently talking to the lawyer about putting our assets into a trust. 

Were the gift cards put into your Mother's trust? Is there any paper work showing that the trust is the owner of her gift cards? 

Unless there is something in writing showing that the trust is the owner of the gift cards, they weren't part of her trust. Did your Mom also have a will for the items that were not put into the trust - her IRAs etc. 

Not everything is going into our trust, so we also have to have a will for our IRAs.

Respected Contributor

Re: My Mother passed-away and I've been trying to have her QVC gift card funds transfered to my acco

You personally cannot do this.  Sounds like there are other siblings in the picture and unless you are the executor, those are assets of your mothers.

Even a death cert and copy of the will is not the answer.  I'm sure you have a lawyer handling her assets, this just needs to be added to the other assets and debts reported.

Legally they are not yours

So sorry for your loss.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try filing a complaint with your State Attorney General's office.

Good luck and so sorry about your Mother.

Honored Contributor

This doesn't surprise me.

QVC Legal Department is run as poorly as all their other departments.

I don't know how trusts work but if you are the trustee, you shouldn't have to jump through any hoops.    

Valued Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Were the gift cards put into your Mother's trust? Is there any paper work showing that the trust is the owner of her gift cards? 

Unless there is something in writing showing that the trust is the owner of the gift cards, they weren't part of her trust. Did your Mom also have a will for the items that were not put into the trust - her IRAs etc. 

Not everything is going into our trust, so we also have to have a will for our IRAs.

This last stmt is not true ... retirement accounts are based on whatever beneficiary designation is on file and trumps the will.  For example, if you get divorced, make sure to remove your ex from the beneficiary designation and replace him/her w/someone else.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Jordan2Yes I sent all info. needed to prove who I am. That's what the FedEx office Faxing was all about. I've done (did) this many times after she died. 

Copys of death certificates (Mom & Dad.) Copys of 'certain' pages (no need to send the whole trust.) from their Trust proving I am the Trustee. Copy of my Drivers License (thank goodess they don't use your SS number anymore for your DL number.) 

Thanks for your reply, Mark

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Mark_S, I would think you would have to send them a copy of her death certificate and proof you are trustee for her estate.

Occasional Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

You personally cannot do this.  Sounds like there are other siblings in the picture and unless you are the executor, those are assets of your mothers.

Even a death cert and copy of the will is not the answer.  I'm sure you have a lawyer handling her assets, this just needs to be added to the other assets and debts reported.

Legally they are not yours

So sorry for your loss.

@Just Bling

Yes, I can do this. As stated in my opening post, I am the Trustee/Executer.

Yes, Copys of Death Certs. (Mom & Dad). Copys of certain pages of their Trust showing that I am the one to, gather and distribute (if needed.) Mom's assets and that it is a legal document. I did it many time after her death with no problems. Even dealing with the U.S. Treasury Dept. ie: Savings Bonds that are now in my name.

The only thing I paid a Lawyer to do was to file with the local County to have Mom & Dad's trust removed from her house as the legal owners and put into my name (it was given to me.)  I tried to do it myself, but the County Clerk told me filling-out the forms gets a little complicated when there is a Trust involved. It cost $40 bucks to file that form, you better get it right the first time because if not, it'll cost you $40 bucks every time you file that form. 

Thank you for the condolences and your reply, Mark

Occasional Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Try filing a complaint with your State Attorney General's office.

Good luck and so sorry about your Mother.

@FranandZoeThank you for the advice and your condolences, Mark

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

@drizzellla wrote:

@drizzelllaNo, the Gift Cards, which were added to her account because of her age and made it easier for her to order. This way she couldn't misplace the real cards. I don't think you can put her QVC account in a Trust/Will. ?

Not all assets of my Mother were listed in Mom & Dad's Trust or listed in her Will. For example, there were stocks that had just her name on them with NO benficiaries named. They were her Father's given to her after his death in the 1970's. They "slipped-through-the-cracks" some how and no benficiaries were ever named, no Trust or Will listings. After her death I found them and sent all Trust info. and  documents to them. The powers to be decided I was the one to recieve the stocks.

Thanks for your reply, Mark