New Contributor

My Mom has been shopping with QVC since she was 20 - she's now 51.  A couple of years ago her back went out and she had emergency back surgery.  She lost her paycheck for 12 weeks while she was recouperating.  Unfortunately she had to file for debt negotiation, and her QCard was one of the accounts included.  Well - QVC completely cut her off.  She's been a loyal customer for so many years.  She is now in a better situation and has called Synchrony to pay the balance on the credit card.  Synchrony said the account is closed and settled and they won't accept payments.  QVC Corporate Customer Service keeps telling her she has to pay off the balance.  She really is trying to get this fixed and no one will call her back and tell her what to do.  It's very frustrating.  I know she is so disappointed that QVC has no sense of understanding for her medical history, nor any desire to let her pay off her debt and reactivate her account.  I would have never thought this company could be so cold hearted and uncaring about their customers.  My Mom always raved about their customer service and products.  It was a running joke that anything we got from Mom came from QVC.  That joke isn't funny anymore. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Mom's Account Deactivated

In the case of the Q card, the card and the debt incurred on it is owned by Synchrony Bank, not QVC.

Synchrony Bank in all likelihood wrote off the debt as a 'bad debt' and QVC can't do a thing about it, nor can they accept payment on that closed account since it was owed to Synchrony Bank, not QVC.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I don't see there's much your mom can do except perhaps write a letter to QVC corporate headquarters and plead her case.  No, not being social service agencies, big corporations are not very compassionate but maybe the "personal touch" would help.

Our moderators here help with many thorny customer service problems, but they're not permitted to get involved with financial matters for security reasons.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

How old are you? That's life and especially so in 2020!!!!

BTW: Synchrony is the worst! Horrible, horrible customer service.

They are a 2nd rate "little bank!"

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why does she have to use her Q card?  Does she have another credit card, or were they all closed with her debt negotiation.  I don't think there's any way she can pay off a card that's already been closed.  Even if she could pay it off they wouldn't reopen her account.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

The card goes into debt consolidation and its no longer her card, she can not reclaim it

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

Why does she have to use her Q card?  Does she have another credit card, or were they all closed with her debt negotiation.  I don't think there's any way she can pay off a card that's already been closed.  Even if she could pay it off they wouldn't reopen her account.

@NickNack 

You're correct, since she defaulted on her QVC account using the Q card, QVC will not allow her to open a new account using ANY type of card or payment method.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry but, I do not see where either QVC or Synchrony Bank has done anything wrong ... I know you feel bad for your Mom but, this is “life” & things happen ... maybe she should open an account with a bank & get a debit card attached to it ... she can use the debit card to purchase items from QVC ... anything she purchases will be debited from the debit card ... good luck 😊

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am sorry for your Mom's situation but debt negotiation is not a way to go. It is considered along the lines of bankruptcy and will take between 7-10  years before it is cleared off her credit report. The company settles for a small portion owed and the rest is written off as bad debt.  She should have dealt with the company and got on a repayment plan. So many people are unaware about organizations that do debt negotiations.  It is good for the organization but not the client. 

Super Contributor

perhaps this is a ...Need to Look On The Bright Side situation

With a new credit card, your mom may get into the same trouble 

Saving $$ for a year, and then getting a debit card to make necessary purchases will , in the long term, make for a better "later" years life for her..

A hard lesson, but a necessary one.  Good Luck