Honored Contributor

Mods: Please Explain-- What's an "Old" Thread?

How old does a thread have to be, to be considered "old" or "bumped"?

One of my threads was recently blocked from new replies because it was a "bumped" thread. The thread was started on 8/28/18, and the last reply before this happened was on 10/11.

Then, when someone posted a reply on 12/27, the thread was closed for commenting.

I've noticed that when threads are resurrected from several years ago, they're considered to be bumped. But l didn't think that if it's only a few months old, it would fall into that same category...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Respected Contributor

Re: Mods: Please Explain-- What's an "Old" Thread?

Yer it seems some threads stay forever.

Honored Contributor

The same thing happened recently to a thread in the Travel Forum. It was started on September 5, 2018; had a few posts on it during that month, possibly into October, and then nothing until this month, December. When a couple of comments were made, it was closed down as a bumped thread. It was about RFID and traveling, which is always a relevant subject for the Travel Forum.

I read sometime back that a thread is considered "bumped" when a year has passed since the last post on it. But this was only a couple of months. Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@handygal2 ,

How old before it's considered bumped?

⏳   Seems in 2018 the mods have agreed on the answer 'one year'.

However, since the thread in question was closed from future commenting I wonder if they viewed it as becoming controversial (?)

Maybe the last one or two posters were baiting?

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler, I would think development, affordability, and selection of RFID technology and products would be a long running topic in Travel.

Honored Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@handygal2 ,

How old before it's considered bumped?

⏳   Seems in 2018 the mods have agreed on the answer 'one year'.

However, since the thread in question was closed from future commenting I wonder if they viewed it as becoming controversial (?)

Maybe the last one or two posters were baiting?

@x Hedge: That's a good point...

QVC Customer Care

We generally consider a thread older than 1 year to be bumped. However, often threads that are only, say, 3 months old are deleted when they are used to bait other posters.

Beth QVC

Honored Contributor

@Beth-QVC: Thank you for your reply.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @Beth-QVC

Is it possible for you to check the thread in the Travel Forum called "RFID Information for Protection" which was just closed with the reason given as bumping? It was started in September 2018 and more posts were being made on it. I believe it was mistakenly closed for further discussion, even though there was no bating. All posts were very considerate and informative.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give us on that, as RFID protection is of concern to many of our people on the Travel Forum. Heart

QVC Customer Care

@World Traveler

Frankly it is unusual to remove a thread in the Travel Forum. We may actually keep threads longer in that particular forum because for example I may go to Cuba this year but not go every year. I will look into the thread as there may have been another reason. I did say that we remove generally speaking after a year but there are valid reasons for keeping some. I suspect there was an abuse notice submitted. 

Beth QVC