Respected Contributor

Moderators - I might have the answer

I have had the forum login page bookmarked for a while.  When I go directly to the forum login page from the bookmark, it works properly.

When I click on the login function while sitting on the forum page before signing in, that login takes me to my order status.

Here are to actual links, from the current page login screen and my working bookmarked one.  The difference is one

This is the properly working link:

https://www.qvc.com/LogonForm?langId=-1&storeId=10251&catalogId=10151&communityURL=http%3A%2F%2Fcomm...

This is your current link.....notice the 2nd http on this one is https where the one above is just http.

https://www.qvc.com/LogonForm?langId=-1&storeId=10251&catalogId=10151&communityURL=https%3A%2F%2Fcom...

Honored Contributor

Re: Moderators - I might have the answer

[ Edited ]

https means it's a secure connection, as it should be.

FYI:

HTTPS : This is Hyper text Transfer protocol with added security layer in place in form on TLS/SSL. Servers and clients communicate with each other exactly the same as HTTP but over a secure channel.

The SSL layer serves for two main purposes :

1) It is confirmed after using HTTPS that you are talking to server directly that you are thinking of.

2) It also ensures that only server reads the data you sent over network. No else can read it.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia - I know what it means.  I used to code webpages.

There is OBVIOUSLY a difference between the working link and the non-working link.  The non-working link is actually taking you to the secure purchasing login screen.  Now, if they are actually consolidating the forum server and purchasing server then obviously that's what they want to do and they should then just respond to all the complaints advising that this is intentional instead of stating it is being worked on.

The forum, being essentially anonymous and previously (and wisely) not linked with the purchasing system that contains account/payment information, only utilized the "s" in the first entry and the 2nd entry was not the secured.

Also, from my work experience, it's very easy to miss such a minor difference that as we notice here causes major aggravation.  Just as an inadvertant space or a missed bracket.

ETA - If they are indeed linking the purchasing side with this forum side, I for one am happy I don't have any credit cards stored on their site any more.

Trusted Contributor

I have been totally annoyed with the sign in situation that takes you to the order status page.

Honored Contributor

I loved reading your posts..you sure know your computers inside and out.I just use mine but don't know anything about the workings.

Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

I have been totally annoyed with the sign in situation that takes you to the order status page.

It doesn't bother me, just requires one more click to get to Forums.  I think Q did this intentionally - they're subtly suggesting that maybe I should place an order.  Of course, it's not subtle to those of you that are really annoyed by it.  I just skip on past.

Respected Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

There is OBVIOUSLY a difference between the working link and the non-working link.  The non-working link is actually taking you to the secure purchasing login screen.  Now, if they are actually consolidating the forum server and purchasing server then obviously that's what they want to do and they should then just respond to all the complaints advising that this is intentional instead of stating it is being worked on.

The forum, being essentially anonymous and previously (and wisely) not linked with the purchasing system that contains account/payment information, only utilized the "s" in the first entry and the 2nd entry was not the secured.

Also, from my work experience, it's very easy to miss such a minor difference that as we notice here causes major aggravation.  Just as an inadvertant space or a missed bracket.

ETA - If they are indeed linking the purchasing side with this forum side, I for one am happy I don't have any credit cards stored on their site any more.

@Buck-i-Nana  THIS in a nutshell.  First I read all through the threads about QVC's inability to fulfill orders correctly and promptly, now this security issue with them.  

I have deleted my credit cards and am considering editing my account to a disposable Email.  In my estimation QVC isn't reliable enough to be entrusted with my sensitive information.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@Buck-i-Nana - I also worked in I.T. (analyst/programmer and team leader) for 25 years.

I think their intention was exactly what you stated in your second paragraph.

I also agree with your fourth paragraph.  I saw it many times in my own career.

If their intention is to link the two sides of the site, I for one am glad it's with a secure connection.  I wonder how many users have different email addresses for their forum ID and their customer (purchasing) ID?

I can tell you from personal experience that, if they are the same, you have always been able to log into the forums, then click on the "My Account" drop-down menu and click on "Wish List", then "Order Status" and it would take you directly into it.  I know, because I've always done that.  To me, that wasn't a secure system, so this latest change is an improvement.

I'm sure someone at QVC will respond, when they have an answer that they want to share.

Respected Contributor

@Venezia - Other than a brief time a few years back, I have never been able to log in on the forums and then browse my purchases.  I have always had to log-in on the shopping side of the house separate from the forums.

Given how poorly this website has historically been run, with very little acknowledgement of critical security failures, merging the 2 sites even with the security layer is a major hacking event in the making.  JMHO.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for this!   I deleted my credit card also.   Actually I have been shopping the southern channel more.  Much faster shipping and great products.