Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I just had a computer delivered.  FedEx nor the maker required a delivery ($1,000 item).

Fortunately I was home.  Right after it was dropped on my porch a worker from a close-by construction site appeared, walking down then up past my house.

Not casting aspersions on workers. But I believe this happens.  And I never see those guys crossing the road and passing by.  This day I did.

I was so anxious to get that box, I opened the door with just a towel wrapped around me (just showered).  Well heck - maybe that's why he meandered by!

Cogito ergo sum
Occasional Contributor
Not on a acc order, but I've had 4 packages in the last 6 months get delivered to a wrong address by our USPS driver. 3 were recovered.
Valued Contributor

I have had 2 pkgs (nothing expensive/critical) go missing at out local UPS office.  No issue w/having item resent or refunded.

Most recently, a CWonder top went MIA.  Online said it was delivered mid-am on May 8, which didn't happen (I work from home and our postal carrier comes mid afternoon).  The 1-800 # said it was still in transit.  And the USPS tracking # said status not available.  Since the item was no longer availble, got refunded.

One of my returns never made it back to the Q and there was no problem w/getting the refund credited.

Valued Contributor

This happened to my neighbor the next street over ... someone sent her a Harry & David fruit basket around the holidays.  Her neighbor across the street (a SAHM) saw the porch pirates and filmed them on her smartphone.  She tracked down the kids' parents, who then accused her of being racist ("my child would never do something like that!").

Fortunately, our new cluster mailbox has 2 larger slots for packages that don't fit in the standard slot, so USPS shouldn't be leaving things at the door.  UPS/FedEx/Amazon are a different story.  If it's something expensive, I'll have it delivered to the office.

Porch pirates are a huge problem during the holidays.  They shadow UPS trucks, open packages and if it's something cool (i.e., electronics) they'll keep it but if it's not, they just ditch it.

When a neighbor down the street installed a surveillance camera, the HOA made him take it down (privacy concerns).  I think the HOA did approve ring video doorbells.