Honored Contributor

Other businesses do this, too.  Pottery Barn is the one that comes to mind.  I get Rewards with them, and if I return something the reward is forfeited.  Loft does the same thing.  I think that's just standard.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Like others have stated, there is nothing misleading. Terms were clearly spelled out.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

Anytime I've ever used coupons or credits with other retailers, if I return the purchase, the credit/coupon is always forfeited.  

It doesn't work like that at Target.  Target refunds full purchase price, before coupons.  They expect, of course, that people won't abuse their policy.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Anytime I've ever used coupons or credits with other retailers, if I return the purchase, the credit/coupon is always forfeited.  

It doesn't work like that at Target.  Target refunds full purchase price, before coupons.  They expect, of course, that people won't abuse their policy.

@ValuSkr 

I no longer shop at Target, so I didn't know this about them.

Good deal!👍

Honored Contributor

I think it's a poor policy, even if it's expressly stated.

It would be better to put a $40 credit on the customer's QCard account, independent of a specific purchase.  Then, if an item is returned, the $40 credit would still exist.  If Q is worried about a customer earning $40 wrongfully - by making a purchase intending to return it, it can award the credit only after the return period has lapsed.

Esteemed Contributor

@deew58 - There is nothing misleading about it. There are many retailers that do the same thing. If you purchase the item and then return it, the deduction is made at time of return.

Why do you think you are entitled to the money if you returned the item? 

I would suggest you read the Terms & Conditions on all the online shoppiing sites you visit. If you are doing in person shopping, I would ask at the register before you purchase the item.

Esteemed Contributor

As far as I know most Merchants do the same. The first time it happened to me years ago at a Store, I didn't understand why.

Cancelling a Card? So what? Stop shopping at QVC, so what? Just do it. I hate when people keep announcing what they plan to do. 

Wow!! now I feel better.