Honored Contributor
Accepted Solution

Medical Technologist vs Medical Technician

Q -- would you please tell the hosts to stop using the term "Medical Technicians?" This is insulting to those of us who earned a University degree in Medical Technology (ASCP). 

Medical Technicians can start to work in hospital laboratories after a 6 month course instead of a four year degree.

Why not just call everyone a Medical Technologist? 

The term lifts everybody up (in terms of being degrees professionals.)

I don't have a suggestion for the compression socks that use the greatest degree of medical technology.

Maybe "modern medical technology?"

Thank you

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Re: Medical Technologist vs Medical Technician

@lovestoteach  Sorry, but you lost me - and you probably know I love words .  I'm just not at all sure how I'd explain to my host what you want done, assuming I'm the producer in charge.

Maybe it would have helped if I'd seen the presentation that upset you?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops

I am not upset really!

Jayne Brown said this morning "these would be good for people who do a lot of standing all day... like Medical Technicians."

The proper term is Medical Technologists.

Just as one doesn't refer to a dentist as a "dental technician."

The Q can ask Antonella Nester about it because she is an MT (ASCP) also.  to be politically correct...❤️

Idea: say those in the "medical profession ... dental teaching etc"

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I understand the point.  People do use a lot of outdated terms when referring to health care professionals. And there are still people who call flight attendants "stewardesses"!

Regular Contributor

Actually we're called Medical Laboratory Scientists now. MLS as opposed to MT. Heaven only knows how much time and money was spent on trying to come up with a new designation. I'm sure there was a good reason for it for professionally, but whatever...

RNs deal with the same issue.