Honored Contributor

Re: MODS: DELETE OLD FORUM THREADS

@dooBdoo.  Thanks, I guess I wasn't reading those parts of the forums at the time as I didn't see the survey.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

QVC MODS:

PLEASE LEAVE THE RESSURECTED OLD THREADS ALONE IF THEY DISPLAY BECAUSE MANY PEOPLE NEVER SAW OR READ THEM, AND THEY ARE VERY USEFUL TO REFER TO IF NEED BE.

THANKS FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@dooBdoo.  Thanks, I guess I wasn't reading those parts of the forums at the time as I didn't see the survey.

You're welcome, @proudlyfromNJ.   I don't think the survey was well-publicized at the time.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I don't see a reason for a 7 year old thread to still be here. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think older threads should be allowed to remain but should be closed to comments after a certain time limit.   That would permit us to use them as references but avoid violating the standards which say we aren't supposed to bump old threads. 

(By the way, it's a standard practice for any forum or chat site to prohibit bumping old threads.)

I can attest to the fact that a simple, basic "programming 101" code could easily loop through threads and automatically and quickly close those with activity (the last post) older than whatever the specified time limit was.   I've spent my life working in IT and I've written this kind of simple code.   It could be scheduled as a maintenance program to run periodically, with no human intervention needed, to continue to close threads once their most recent post became older than the specified age.

Not only would it help avoid the confusion with people bumping ancient threads, it would even save the moderators time since this one problem would be resolved with the software.

This isn't rocket science.   But it's been suggested time and time again and nothing has been done, so I have no expectation that anything will be done now.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

sure would help QVC's servers I'd think. millions of pictures that people post on DAILY basis, plus, threads from  7 yrs ago my computer would of done pooped out and came to a complete stop long ago.

A clean computer is a faster computer

recipes can be found online. Type in 'chocolate cake' bring up a blue million

sites, etc.

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

I do NOT wish to see the threads deleted.  There are many times I have been looking for a previously posted recipe, tip or info contained in a thread that I would not be able to find should they be deleted after 1 year. 

Old threads are not hurting anything (unless they are against standards or host bashing) so why do they need to have a time limit?

I have seen recipes come forward that I never saw before....what is the harm?  Do they take up too much 'space' or memory?

I agree with you @RespectLife. In addition, when I post something I will often try to see if someone has discussed this before. Sometimes, many times in the beauty forum, this has been posted in the past. If I have a comment I usually add this to the OP's post. Maybe I should just ignore the older posts? Smiley Wink

@beach-mom I think it is better to start a new conversation. Please pay no mind to any poster who chooses to chime in "this has been discussed before."  The forums are an ever evolving group of posters/readers, and just like you the conversation started in a new thread may be new to several more people. 

I respect the opinions stated regarding retaining threads indefinitely, but my opinion still stands that there needs to be a definite time period from the original post date when a thread is deleted from the forum servers. 

Honored Contributor

I think the old threads go back to either 2011 or 2012. For me that is fine. I sometimes use the search function and an old thread comes up with an answer to my question.

As for the QVC servers, that is nothing any poster needs to be concerned about.

Respected Contributor

Old threads often contain timeless, useful information so I would like them to remain indefinitely.

I don’t like to see them bumped though.  I don’t like posting a reply and then noticing a thread is several years old. I feel tricked.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I spent time this morning replying to an OP from 2011. We should not have to go all the way back to check the OP date. 

Can there be an addition to rules/regulations that after a year or 2 years, threads will be deleted?

Thanks, Mods.

****Wasn’t at Forums when survey taken. Maybe there’s a way to leave thread up, but mark original date so we don’t have to look back 5 or more years...ususally AFTER we’ve posted.