Honored Contributor

Re: MODS - Can Two Users Have Same Nickname?

@sunshine45

I've always enjoyed your posts and I was totally confused when your nic changed (even subtly) and another variation appeared.

I wasn't sure which one was you until I went by the post count, since yours is much higher than the other, LOL!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, @lainey1!   I remember when you had problems when the new platform was launched.   I'm sorry it was never addressed and corrected by IT support.❤️   The user file was changed significantly with the new forum software and it caused all sorts of glitches, and since then it seems when the tech support staff messes with the code they manage to cause more problems with logins and usernames.

With the old platform, the usernames were case-sensitive.    As an example (I'm making up these names),  "Mary," "mary," "mAry," "maRy," "marY" would all be accepted as new, unique nicknames and frankly it was confusing.    When the new forums were introduced, the usernames were/are NOT case-specific...  so if there's a "mary" at all, no matter what the case of each letter, there only can be one of them.

During the conversion it looks like the software appended "duplicate" usernames with an underscore and a number to try and differentiate them.

Subsequent to the launch in June 2015, we've often had a glitch that suddenly forced a change such as @sunshine45 described or just wouldn't recognize our login unless we created a new nickname.    Now, recently, we've seen reports like @lainey1's which discover the user file has again been altered and now we have duplicate identical nicknames.

@lainey1, In your case there's a "lainey" nickname which has no associated posts.    That's probably the reason you can't change yours.   It would be easy for IT to either remove or change that unused nickname and then allow you to change yours back to what it originally was.

Someone in tech support needs to take a look at what they've done to the user file.    And, in the future, it would behoove them to pay attention to it and stop mucking it up.    The number of technical problems on this site, and the fact that clearly every time they "fix" one thing they seem to create 6 more bugs, should be an embarrassment to QVC Corporate.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Luvs me some @dooBdooHeart, you're so smart......helpful.......kind.....well, I could go on and on, but then I'd be hijacking this thread for a Doobs love fest, LOL!

Seriously tho, thanks for explaining how all that happened!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

IG wrote:

Luvs me some @dooBdooHeart, you're so smart......helpful.......kind.....well, I could go on and on, but then I'd be hijacking this thread for a Doobs love fest, LOL!

Seriously tho, thanks for explaining how all that happened!

You're a sweetheart, @KingstonsMom!❤️    Thanks!   Not sure I can live up to that, but I do my bestest.🙃   You're welcome...  sadly, I don't know that anything I do will help, but I'm annoyed with this substandard website and absolutely astonished a major corporation would allow it to continue to be such a dreadful representation of their business.    An amateur site is designed and managed better than this slipshod, muddled technical mess.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Hi @dooBdoo!

Yes, this username issue is still going on.Woman LOL I remember you tried to help me when the new board was up and running. I sent countless emails to customer service and no one even had the courtesy to reply to me with an answer. Oh, I did get one response saying they were going to look into it but that was it. No follow up or explanation. So much for customer support.

I'm sure it won't be addressed this time either. It's not really that big of a deal, it's just they need to know there's a possible glitch in their system. I only addressed this again because I happened to see a post from the "other" lainey1 in Beauty.

Formerly lainey since Shop Talk days. Had to change nickname due to new Forum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

lainey1 wrote:

Hi @dooBdoo!

Yes, this username issue is still going on.Woman LOL I remember you tried to help me when the new board was up and running. I sent countless emails to customer service and no one even had the courtesy to reply to me with an answer. Oh, I did get one response saying they were going to look into it but that was it. No follow up or explanation. So much for customer support.

I'm sure it won't be addressed this time either. It's not really that big of a deal, it's just they need to know there's a possible glitch in their system. I only addressed this again because I happened to see a post from the "other" lainey1 in Beauty.

Hi, @lainey1!     The odd thing is that it would be an easy fix to permit you to regain your original nickname.   I think it's unprofessional and, frankly, inconsiderate toward their customers when they don't address the problem and correct it.    And when the software fails and allows exact duplicates...  that's completely unacceptable and a sign of extremely negligent, unstable system design and maintenance.

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@lainey1 wrote:

Hi @dooBdoo!

Hi, @lainey1!     The odd thing is that it would be an easy fix to permit you to regain your original nickname.   I think it's unprofessional and, frankly, inconsiderate toward their customers when they don't address the problem and correct it.    And when the software fails and allows exact duplicates...  that's completely unacceptable and a sign of extremely negligent, unstable system design and maintenance.

Hi @dooBdoo

Thanks for your response. Just wanted to give you an update, that as expected, I never heard back about this. Truly unprofessional for a company not to even give me the courtesy of a reply. Says a lot, doesn't it?

Honored Contributor

@lainey1 wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@lainey1 wrote:

Hi @dooBdoo!

Hi @dooBdoo

Thanks for your response. Just wanted to give you an update, that as expected, I never heard back about this. Truly unprofessional for a company not to even give me the courtesy of a reply. Says a lot, doesn't it?

Hi, @lainey1.    You're welcome.  Yes, it speaks volumes and this is just the tip of the iceberg regarding the shortcomings of this website.    It's not the moderators' fault -- I feel confident they do keep reporting the problems, but my understanding is that they have absolutely no access to correcting tech problems.   The tech "support" is a shaky foundation and should be an embarrassment to QVC Corporate.    You might want to follow up with a phone call to their corporate offices to see if someone there might light a fire under technical support.    So sorry you have to deal with this.    I can't imagine any of us would feel at all comfortable seeing posts by someone else using our nickname.

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not going to bother calling Corporate. I really don't feel like going through the whole saga again and it has been going on for too long.

It's a different world now where companies don't seem to care much about their customers. That's their choice and my choice is to not buy from them anymore.Woman Tongue

QVC Social Team

@lainey1 wrote:

@dooBdoo

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not going to bother calling Corporate. I really don't feel like going through the whole saga again and it has been going on for too long.

It's a different world now where companies don't seem to care much about their customers. That's their choice and my choice is to not buy from them anymore.Woman Tongue

Hello @lainey1 - I don't want you to feel like you have been forgotten. I am trying to get to the bottom of this still. I wish it was a quick fix but, apparently, it is not. Again, I'm sorry it is taking so long but I am still working on it to find a solution.