Super Contributor

Item with same bad issue as reviewers return fee?

I bought the eucalyptus wreath by Valerie (H221945) earlier in the month and immediately upon opening it was "hit" with a strong chemical odor and the wreath covered in white powder which got on anything it touched, including my clothes and hands. The scent is coming from the powder so it's not just talc. At the time, there was just one other review with the same issue. I contacted Valerie's team about how to clean the powder off, and asked about the smell. I have yet to hear back from them. I thought back and forth about keeping it, it's a pretty wreath. The smell has yet to go away. In fact, when you leave for a while and come home the smell is even stronger, to point you can "taste" it. There are more reviews, now, stating the same about the powder and smell. 

I do want to return it since I don't know what I'm breathing in, touching, and don't want to risk it. Question is, is this considered a "defect" or just an opinion on the wreath and I'll have to pay to ship it back? 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Item with same bad issue as reviewers return fee?

Sounds like a defect to me.Call customer service & arrange for them to pickup the return fee.

Esteemed Contributor

I would get it out of the house FAST!!!! ..... these wreaths are made in China so who knows what the powder is??? .... the powder needs to be checked to see what it is & why it is on the wreath???? .... Contact Valerie directly 😱

Honored Contributor

Is it possible the white powder is mildew?  is the smell a musty odor?  if so, it will not go away.  Send it back ASAP and get it out of the house before it stinks up the whole place.  Yes, it is definitely defective.

Don't you love how Valerie seems so loving and caring yet when her merchandise is defective, her silence is deafening.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 YES...loving & so ?..........2 of the 3 things I bought were absolutely junk pieces; but appeared so beautiful on set. Dim the studio lights and everything looks great.

I'm done

Honored Contributor

Could it be mildew or white mold?  I received two of Valerie's poinsettia trees, one arrived with the mold growing in the box, the other was noticeable after sitting in a 50% humidity room for a few days. 

Unless you spray it with something that kills mold and mildew or put in the sunlight for some time, it will be difficult to get rid of it.  Then, do you want a wreath with a dead fungus on it?  

It's definitely defective.  I was issued a full refund including shipping.  

Honored Contributor

That item would go back faster than a "new york minute". That box would be sitting on my porch &

let QVC issue you a pickup & of course, return fees waived...

Several years ago I bought 2 gingerbread houses from VPH during CIJ.  I knew what they were, therefore, just stuck in my hallway closet unopened.  

My spouse went to get his coat out of this closet -- he called me to smell the closet🤔.  I was choking it had such a kerosene or mold smell!!!  It never occurred to me it could be those boxes.

I checked every inch of the stuff in closet & then when I got to these boxes   I opened them...they had "mold" in the packaging. 

I called QVC and told them the situation...I returned immediately.  

I'm still leary about ordering "seasonal" things because I know that stuff sits in warehouses.  I even sometimes smell  this in Michaels, Dollar Stores, etc. because they pack up seasonal stuff for the next season.  Plus, all this stuff comes over in the containers from China🙄...bugs & all!!!

Esteemed Contributor

It is a known fact that items comming from China are sprayed with chemicals to kill mice and insects that live  on the ship

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 @Ane1Care @MalteseMomma @homedecor1 @Foxxee .....Valerie Parker probably has nothing to do with the way her items are made; who makes them, and the quality of the materials.  She is just the so called figurehead the use to sell items someone else makes decisions about.

Honored Contributor

@tobes    Valerie makes buying trips to China and showed Lisa Robertson the ropes when she started buying decorative items, so I think she has a lot of input and decision-making.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment