Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,952
Registered: ‎03-26-2010

Why are all item pages defaulting to show the video first rather than photos, all of a sudden today? We are not all on super-fast broadband connections at all times. Plus, some people are at work. The item view should NOT default to the video because we may not all want or be able to view the video. Also, the default seems to be "auto-play". I think I have figured out how to turn that off. But still, the fastest way to anger visitors to your website is to have a bunch of auto-play videos that people weren't expecting and may not want.

 

Why is this necessary in life? Can't we just go back to the still photo as the default?

 

I do like how it's now much easier to tell what sizes and colors are available though. That was a good change.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,153
Registered: ‎05-22-2012

Re: Item pages default to video

I just opened up 12 different items and none of them defaulted to a video.

 

I hope it's a glitch and that opening to a video is not working as intended.

Super Contributor
Posts: 265
Registered: ‎08-17-2010

Re: Item pages default to video


@aprimo wrote:

Why are all item pages defaulting to show the video first rather than photos, all of a sudden today? We are not all on super-fast broadband connections at all times. Plus, some people are at work. The item view should NOT default to the video because we may not all want or be able to view the video. Also, the default seems to be "auto-play". I think I have figured out how to turn that off. But still, the fastest way to anger visitors to your website is to have a bunch of auto-play videos that people weren't expecting and may not want.

 

Why is this necessary in life? Can't we just go back to the still photo as the default?

 

I do like how it's now much easier to tell what sizes and colors are available though. That was a good change.


Hi @aprimo 

 

You are seeing the new product detail page. Here is a blog post that talks about some of the changes: New Product Detail

 

Please be sure to leave comments on the blog post so the QVC team can review your feedback.

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,153
Registered: ‎05-22-2012

Re: Item pages default to video

[ Edited ]

@Keyai-QVC wrote:

@aprimo wrote:

Why are all item pages defaulting to show the video first rather than photos, all of a sudden today? We are not all on super-fast broadband connections at all times. Plus, some people are at work. The item view should NOT default to the video because we may not all want or be able to view the video. Also, the default seems to be "auto-play". I think I have figured out how to turn that off. But still, the fastest way to anger visitors to your website is to have a bunch of auto-play videos that people weren't expecting and may not want.

 

Why is this necessary in life? Can't we just go back to the still photo as the default?

 

I do like how it's now much easier to tell what sizes and colors are available though. That was a good change.


Hi @aprimo 

 

You are seeing the new product detail page. Here is a blog post that talks about some of the changes: New Product Detail

 

Please be sure to leave comments on the blog post so the QVC team can review your feedback.

 


Thanks, @Keyai. I left my feedback on the New Product Detail page. Any page that starts audio with video without my pressing a play button is a problem for me, so I hope this does not auto-play at launch.

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 110
Registered: ‎07-25-2013

Re: Item pages default to video

Agree with others that the "Surprise!" element (Again!!) is negative.   Even after I read the reasons  --provided by a helpful other poster on this thread  --  my initial reaction is negative and wonder "what's the point"  - Again!    If we can just click on the pictures and  observe the items in different colors, we get an immediate impression.   With the video, one often has to wait and wait until the presenter gets to the point  or quality that is of importance to us  --  the potential purchaser.   Still think there are more immediate concerns with the website and/or products that are more  important than this  tinkering with the website.    Thank You

Super Contributor
Posts: 265
Registered: ‎08-17-2010

Re: Item pages default to video

@ChynnaBlue

 

I read your comment and did some investigating on the video automatically playing. You will be able to control whether the video plays automatically by unchecking the following box on the page. Here is a screenshot of the area to uncheck.

 

video player.JPG

 

I realize you are not seeing the new page yet, but I wanted you to know there is an option to keep the video from automatically playing.

 

Thanks as always for your feedback, it is appreciated.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,153
Registered: ‎05-22-2012

Re: Item pages default to video


@Keyai-QVC wrote:

@ChynnaBlue

 

I read your comment and did some investigating on the video automatically playing. You will be able to control whether the video plays automatically by unchecking the following box on the page. Here is a screenshot of the area to uncheck.

 

video player.JPG

 

I realize you are not seeing the new page yet, but I wanted you to know there is an option to keep the video from automatically playing.

 

Thanks as always for your feedback, it is appreciated.


Thank you, @Keyai! I will be happy to have some control over that.

 

I predict a need for some educational posts and videos from the web team and some mentions of this on TV, as well. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,952
Registered: ‎03-26-2010

Re: Item pages default to video

Thanks @Keyai, I will check out the link you provided.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 247
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Item pages default to video

[ Edited ]

I stumbled upon this new format last night somehow.  I really liked it!  I thought it was easier to read and once you got used to it I liked it better.  Now I am back to the old format. Can we choose which one we see or is it just random. 

 

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,952
Registered: ‎03-26-2010

Re: Item pages default to video

I never look at the blogs and I certainly wouldn't have seen this one without a mod posting a link. I posted a comment on the blog, but I don't feel confident anyone (with any power to change the new format) will actually see it.