Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a way to have QVC block a credit card

@Kachina624 Yes, I wasn't clear but Sooner's post did clarify it better than I did.

Trusted Contributor

@rentfn So sorry that you/mom are going through this & I agree w/all the other comments made. 

Another thing I'm wondering is your mom shopping here for things she really needs or is this just I'm bored shopping?  

Hoping for the best.

Respected Contributor

If you have power of attorney, you can probably take action to have the account closed and her name/address permanently blocked from ordering.

We had to do this with an elderly great aunt who bought thousands of dollars of stuff from QVC. She had the money - that wasn't the problem, but she just kept buying and buying because she fell for the "hosts are my friends" ploy. I can't begin to tell you the number of multiples of various jewelry items that she gave me and other family members.

When she was in full command of her senses, we couldn't do anything except ask her to stop. But when she had to move to memory care, my sister, who had power of attorney, contacted QVC and had her credit card cancelled, account permanetly closed and notated that she could not reactivate it. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@rentfn   That's awful and most companies just let it go, and are taking advantage of people who might need help (IMO).  

Perhaps you can go into her bank with her and she can explain (or you can explain and she can agree) that the card should be closed or limited in some way. 

Or you (with her on the phone), can close her QVC account.  You may have to be added as an authorized person, but usually if both call in together she can give authorization to have her account restricted or closed after any outstanding balances are paid.

I'm sure you aren't the first person to deal with this, maybe others will have better solutions.

Or ship everything back that she purchases (one box to save on shipping), and eventually she will get the "letter" about not being able to buy anything due to the amount of returns.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

If you have power of attorney, you can probably take action to have the account closed and her name/address permanently blocked from ordering.

We had to do this with an elderly great aunt who bought thousands of dollars of stuff from QVC. She had the money - that wasn't the problem, but she just kept buying and buying because she fell for the "hosts are my friends" ploy. I can't begin to tell you the number of multiples of various jewelry items that she gave me and other family members.

When she was in full command of her senses, we couldn't do anything except ask her to stop. But when she had to move to memory care, my sister, who had power of attorney, contacted QVC and had her credit card cancelled, account permanetly closed and notated that she could not reactivate it. 

@FrostyBabe1    Thank you for adding your comments.  I felt sure this could be done. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Power of attorney doesn't mean much unless you have a physicians statement that she is unable to handle her own financial affairs from her doctor.

Also, Social Security does not recognize power of attorney.  You need to have her designate a payee if she is mentally able, or get a doctor's signed statement that she is incapable if she is not.  

Honored Contributor

I would assume you'd need some medical proof of incompency in order to get a power of attorney otherwise this could easily be abused. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

If you don't haved access to her accounts and financial dealings then there is not much you can do.

The only way to do this is to have her log on credentials so you can remove the card.  If you don't have that, I doubt the Q will block her card as long as they can get $$ for the things she's purchasing.  They will block her if she misses and Easy Pay or otherwise doesn't pay something she owes.  As far as the bank goes, they are making $$$ off your mom as well because of the over draft fees they charge.

I've read some people at addresses from prior customers can't place orders because of former tenant's past issues with QVC.

Good luck.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@rentfn No. QVC cannot legally do that. Your mom need some professional help, and I'm not being snarky about that.

@Love my grandkids    It sounds as though she might be suffering from dementia, in which case the professional help might most appropriately be legal, not medical.  I'm assuming you had medical help in mind. 

Could be.  However, it sounds like hoarding problem to me.  I'm sure there are a lot of people here who shop for the sheer pleasure of it and not because they need anything.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

@rentfn 

Legally you cannot do anything, when you mentioned you cancelled her QVC card 3 years ago and cancelled her account last year.

That is not possible.  No one other than the card holder can cancel any accounts.

Why would you worry if the Q will block a credit card when you specifically say she uses her "debit card" and is getting overdraft fees.  

So your story isn't adding up.