New Contributor

Incorrect word choice in e-mail, so grammatically incorrect. Hire an editor.

I was appalled to receive a QVC e-mail with "Free Shipping thru" in the reference line. 

Thru is NOT an abbreviation for through.  Thru is used to reference drive-thru lanes at fast food restaurants, banks, and pharmacies. It is used on traffic signs to save space as in "no thru traffic" or "no thru road."  It is used to describe a special kind of hiking as in thru hiking.  These are the only acceptable uses of thru.   For the most part, thru should be shunned in writing as it is not a substitute for through. In all formal writing or formal communications like business letters, resumes, research papers, legal documents, marketing writing, broadcast writing, letters, and so on, through should be used.  People of the United States are violatiing good grammar by the overuse of thru in writing where it should be unacceptable.  Take note that in British English thru is an incorrect spelling,  The way QVC used thru in the reference line of your e-mail is NOT one of the acceptable uses of thru in American English as you are not talking about road signs, or lanes at banks, pharmacies, and fast food joints, so your reference line used the incorrect word. You are a large corporation and I am sure you do have some British customers now living in the USA.  They would find this e-mail horrible. I spent 30 years writing technical and marketing documents and I find this horrible.  Hire an editor to edit your e-mails before you send them out to avoid mistakes like this. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Incorrect word choice in e-mail, so grammatically incorrect. Hire an editor.

Good grief!  Such trauma. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Incorrect word choice in e-mail, so grammatically incorrect. Hire an editor.

Image result for people with correct grammar and spelling syndrome

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Who would be so obsessed about a positive "free shipping thru" email that she vehemently states is an incorrect word and just not be happy about getting free shipping?  WOW!!  Thru is commonly used all the time.  To be so OCD about it and have nothing better to do than to show supposed superiority speaks volumes about OP!!  I would sugest no free shipping for her!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

forgeddabouditSmiley Happy!😁

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Seriously, one should take advantage of being able to create paragraphs.

ETA:  They got your attention.  That's what advertising is about.

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 

Re: paragraphs....appalling isn't it? LOL!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sign above my home computer:"I am silently correcting your grammar".

The thing about the grammar in this life there are people that do that. They are ok,you are ok,however sometimes you need these people and they do correct your grammar(silently).

How about the spelling thing?

As Roseane, Roseana, Danna said,It's always something.

Honored Contributor

grammar used wrong is deadly as in the case of.a yahoo news item a few years ago

Donald Trump Jr went peasant hunting

as least I hope it was a typo

Valued Contributor

I didn't realize that an e-mail from QVC was an official legal document. Geeze.