Respected Contributor

Re: I am so disappointed and broken hearted!

I do not believe the FTC rules apply in this case.

I would definitely NOT keep the yoga pants!

You are a QVC customer and you did make an order. There was a mistake at their end--not uncommon--but you do not get to have free merchandise.

I do not see any reason to be broken-hearted; there is too much to buy in the world to let one cardigan break your heart.  Reserve that passion for the more serious issues in life--death, war, bankruptcy, serious disease, and so forth.

I bet if you gave your daughter-in-law a Q gift card she would quickly and easily find something else to buy!

Honored Contributor

@Ane1Care wrote:

The Federal Trades Commission, FTC, protects you in a case like this. When you receive an item you didn't order the company cannot make you return it, nor can they charge you for it. It is considered a gift. A lot of folks, even those in CS, don't realize this. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0181-unordered-merchandise. You can return the pants if you like but, you don't have to.

fullsizeoutput_2400.jpeg

I believe this applies if a company sends you something without you initiating a transaction, in an attempt to get you to buy something.

in the OP's case she did make a purchase but did not get she wanted  which is different 

Honored Contributor

well it's annoying because the company made an error in the order,

and I would say 95% of mail order/online businesses would ship the correct item, and issue credit once the incorrect is received. 

QVC for some reason doesn't act this way,  not good customer service 

Honored Contributor

@Ane1Care.  We've been through this before and you are wrong, wrong, wrong.  That covers unsolicited merchandise

When you place an order, whether you get the right or wrong item, its not unsolicited

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Nope. It completely adheres to this case. Josh Gates brought this to light about 6 years ago when he ordered some shirts from Amazon, and they sent a box full of odds and ends. He contacted them, and they said he must return the merch before they would send his order. That's when he brought up the FTC ruling. 

In this case, she ordered one thing, and was sent something COMPLETELY different. No where did she order the pants but, she was sent them anyway. They are hers. This happened to me last year. I received a refund since what I bought they did not have anymore. I was sent something different from what I bought. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @Kachina624 that the FTC rule does not apply here and would only apply in some rare situations. As another example, I recently ordered two blouses from QVC and then sent them back for an exchange and successfully received the new blouses I requested. For some reason, QVC sent me another blouse two weeks later, and in the interim, the item had become a blowout clearance item that could not be returned. I consulted with both the regular customer service team and the social team, and both determined that I needed to pay to return the erroneous top and get reimbursed. And all of this "fun" is for a $15 item.

Esteemed Contributor

One other overall comment on this thread: It is not up to any of us to tell the OP how to feel. She is clearly upset over something out of her control, including a gift for someone she cares about; people reprimanding her for her disappointment is cruel and uncalled for. It's also a very inhospitable first impression for someone new to the boards who isn't trying to stir up controversy or cause problems.

Welcome to the forums, @AngieSC! Please know that there are many people here who are kind and you are always invited to share your thoughts and experiences.

Respected Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

One other overall comment on this thread: It is not up to any of us to tell the OP how to feel. She is clearly upset over something out of her control, including a gift for someone she cares about; people reprimanding her for her disappointment is cruel and uncalled for. It's also a very inhospitable first impression for someone new to the boards who isn't trying to stir up controversy or cause problems.

Welcome to the forums, @AngieSC! Please know that there are many people here who are kind and you are always invited to share your thoughts and experiences.

@loriqvc 

Well stated, and I agree. 

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

I was just about to post the same idea, @loriqvc .  Thank you.

It is not up to anyone else to tell someone else how they are feeling, and whether their feelings have value or are appropriate.

It's how they feel.  @AngieSC , your experience is valid and so are your feelings.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

I agree with @Kachina624 that the FTC rule does not apply here and would only apply in some rare situations. As another example, I recently ordered two blouses from QVC and then sent them back for an exchange and successfully received the new blouses I requested. For some reason, QVC sent me another blouse two weeks later, and in the interim, the item had become a blowout clearance item that could not be returned. I consulted with both the regular customer service team and the social team, and both determined that I needed to pay to return the erroneous top and get reimbursed. And all of this "fun" is for a $15 item.

very rigid on this kind of thing