Honored Contributor

Re: Host Mispronouncing Common English Word Over And Over Again

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

I think she's the one that says jewel...lery instead of jewel...ry.  

Both pronouncations of jewelry are correct.

You're right, @Carmie!image.gif   There's a discussion about this word in another thread, too.   I'll add the same info I posted there in case it's helpful.

The pronunciation of the word "jewelry" is one that comes up pretty often on the forums.   

There are 2 accepted pronunciations even though most of us might be accustomed to hearing "jew-ul-ree" or "jool-ree" instead of  "jew-la-ree."   

You can hear them at this link to the Oxford University Press, the first one British English and the second one North American English.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/us/definition/english/jewelry#jewelry_inflg_1

If we listen to the recorded video presentations by some of the designers including Louis Dell'Olio, Stephen Dweck, and our dear Joan Rivers, they use the 2nd pronunciation, "jew-la-ree."  

I understand, though, that we're probably more personally attuned to our own certain way of articulating the word.image.gif

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

If how people pronounce words bothers some, why not just turn off the tv so you are not aggravated anymore?

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don't understand why anyone would be so upset. To come here and berate the host mindboggling. 

Honored Contributor

As others have said, it's a French word and a co workers' FIL was french and his favorite drink was cognac and when he pronounced it was more like cony because of the gutteral c and the way the n was pronounced.  

Such a silly thing to complain about!!  I can't imagine anyone could have a show ruined by what she saw as a mispronounciation.  It must be sheer torture for those who take such offense at pronounciations that they think are incorrect to function in day to day life!!  I wonder if they correct "offenders" to their face when out in public.  Who cares as long as you know what is meant!! ? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was taught not to correct people in front of others.  It was said "not to be polite and not etiquette".  Yes, good grammar can take you places. I understand that. To me, in a situation like this, where one word was mispronounced, etiquette becomes more important.  I read somewhere that mastering etiquette is perhaps better than mastering grammar. I agreed with that statement.

Personally, it does not bother me if a friend or relative corrects me.  It does bother me to see people corrected by complete strangers for all the world to see.       

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

If how people pronounce words bothers some, why not just turn off the tv so you are not aggravated anymore?

Or, here’s a thought, a professional could learn to pronounce words correctly.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Come on there are some French words that are so common everyone should know what the right pronunciation is especially if they are on a public show.

How about parfait. Would you be happy with parfit?  

How about faux pas? Would you be happy with fox pass?

The last thing QVC wants you to do is change the station.

Honored Contributor

On a lighter side...

Defibrillator
Defibrillator
Defibrillator
Defibrillator
Defibrillator
Defibrillator
I can't tell you how long it took me to say this word right. DH had a cardiac arrest in 2011 and had one of these implanted in his chest.  I can't tell you how many times I have mutilated this word.  To this day, I have to think about it before I say it. Some of us just get a mental block every now and then! 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

I think she's the one that says jewel...lery instead of jewel...ry.  

Both pronouncations of jewelry are correct.

Please refrain from adding to the confusion by stating facts.