Honored Contributor

Re: Going on a financial diet

I don't know that there's a good way to do what you wan to do @so so - and if no one can help you, I'll tell you what I'd do.  I'd hide my Q card and those gift cards and pay down as much as you possible can each month.  Commit yourself to not buying until you're free!  Only then, use your gift cards - but as slowly as they allow and only for what you really want and/or need. 

And don't beat yourself up too much -  lots of people are in your plight.

It's no fun , but it can work.  For me - just seeing all the items already on my EZPay list has made me stop watching much so that I'm not tempted much.  There's nothing QVC on my current wish list -  and there's even nothing coming up on my QVC AD list for several months.  Unless the government stops sending our SS checks, there's nothing I can't pay.  I just feel as if that EZPay list is telling me to slow waaaaay down for a while.

Good luck to you on that diet.

Esteemed Contributor

@so so and others: I am right there with you!

Continuing to cut WAY back on the Q and all other shopping. It's no longer in the budget thanks to health insurance and taxes of all kinds.

Having $ and minimal to no debt is a lot more rewarding than buying things!

Change your mindset to being jazzed about Saving rather than Spending. It's a shift, but like the other kind of dieting, it can be done!

One Day At A Time. Goof Luck! Others have succeeded- you can, too.

Respected Contributor

I wouldn't recommend transferring easy pay balances to the Q card. There is no interest or penalties with easy pay unless you're way behind and they have to go after you. 

Pay off the easy pay balances the same way you would pay the Q card. I've read posts here how the Q card affected the credit standing of some posters due to various situations so I wouldn't consider that as an option. It doesn't really solve the problem.

~Live with Intention~
Trusted Contributor

@so so

If your credit standing will allow it, apply for a new CC card ( credit unions are a good source) and transfer the Q card balance and close the Q card. You'll save a lot of money in interest alone. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@so so

believe me YOU are not alone in your quest of paying down ez pay!  I went on a little "ez pay" binge during the holiday season..and worse, things were returned & refunds were minimal compared to what I paid😤😤😤!! Now, that is not Q fault but I then added up my original & return s/h fees ugh I'm embarrassed for my own stupidity!

then I got a "monthly statement of activity" from Q.  Holy crow ... I had a $27 item on 6 ez pay...what was I thinking???  I plan to go  online to my account & switched them all to be put on my cc which I pay off every month.   I will leave the big ticket item on 12 months "interest free" on the Q card.

I don't think if you use Q card & not pay in full the ez pay is interest free.  Hosts do not explain it this way .... only if it's a debit card is itinterest free or if you pay balance off every month!

good luck I think all of us are getting wiser with our finances!

Honored Contributor

Those gift cards can be used as your 2018 QVC spending. Treat them totally different from your debt issue.
Super Contributor

@homedecor1

If you use the Q Card and pay the monthly statement balance in full each month there is no interest charges.  You do not have to pay the entire amounts due, but only the monthly statement balance to avoid interest.  The rest of the EZ pays remain for how ever many EZ payments were selected. 

Honored Contributor

@janz

Thank you! But I find the Qcard the most confusing to figure out since I bought that big ticket item on 12 month interest free

Honored Contributor

It's so easy to put things on a card, any card, but then the hard part and reality sets in!

I completely get what you are feeling.  But the important thing is, you are being mindful of it now and can tackle it.  

I have been guilty of this easy pay thing myself.  Say for instance I want an item for $50.  I might think --- no, that's too much for that -- I won't pay. But then I see the easy pay for X amount of payments and it seems so much cheaper!  

I do put things on cards but I try to be really aware of everything that I do.  I have very small balances and they are managable.  I can pay them off if and when I want.  This is a good feeling.

You are on the right track! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@so so....you might go to Dave Ramsey's website....his plan walks you thru paying down debt...snowball style.  Smallest debt to largest.  Good luck!