New Contributor

I have been hanging on to 2 gift cards from QVC for the past 2 years that my MIL gave me. I have finally went to use them and one of them had already been used!! I called QVC, the CSR on the phone was able to tell me that someone used it, what they bought, and what state they lived in. AND IT'S NOT ME??!!!! I have been givin the run around and still at a loss. Saying you need to call Cash star and Cashstar says you need to call QVC. Its mind boggling!!! I've seen so many complaints on this forum about stolen gift card info. OBVIOUSLY there is a problem with QVC and their gift card carrier Cashatar. And it's UBER disappointing that this keeps happening to people and NOW ME!! How do you think it's possible and okay to tell someone who is trying to use a birthday gift card and to say that someone clearly in another state used and that it's my fault? ? Never again will I buy ANYTHING from QVC. I've had this gift card in my purse waiting on the chance to use and now this big let down. Customer Service is absolutely HORRIBLE! !

Honored Contributor

No idea how this happens, but I've seen the problem talked about here and elsewhere.  Just the other day in a financial column I read a suggestion that we use gift cards as quickly as possible, but I wasn't thinking about someone stealing them, just about having money sitting and doing/earning nothing.  By the way -  the thieves probably work the same way robo callers do -  they just pick a range of numbers on a computer and work until they find a :live" card.  Prpobably doesn't take much brainwork -  just no morality and a good computer.

One more reason I absolutely refuse ever to buy gift cards.  Tangible gifts or a check will have to do.

Respected Contributor

Absolutely the Q is not what it used to be.  Very sad to me.

Sorry they would not redeem your card and go after the other person for payment of the merch they bought with a stolen card.  A credit card company would credit your account with no questions asked.

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

@Bonbon223 wrote:

I have been hanging on to 2 gift cards from QVC for the past 2 years that my MIL gave me. I have finally went to use them and one of them had already been used!! I called QVC, the CSR on the phone was able to tell me that someone used it, what they bought, and what state they lived in. AND IT'S NOT ME??!!!! I have been givin the run around and still at a loss. Saying you need to call Cash star and Cashstar says you need to call QVC. Its mind boggling!!! I've seen so many complaints on this forum about stolen gift card info. OBVIOUSLY there is a problem with QVC and their gift card carrier Cashatar. And it's UBER disappointing that this keeps happening to people and NOW ME!! How do you think it's possible and okay to tell someone who is trying to use a birthday gift card and to say that someone clearly in another state used and that it's my fault? ? Never again will I buy ANYTHING from QVC. I've had this gift card in my purse waiting on the chance to use and now this big let down. Customer Service is absolutely HORRIBLE! !

Forgive my skepticism but "I have been hanging on to 2 gift cards from QVC for the past 2 years" and "I've had this gift card in my purse waiting on the chance to use" doesn't sound like you are a regular Q shopper if it took you two years to get a chance to use it so your threat "Never again will I buy ANYTHING from QVC." is an empty one.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Bonbon223 wrote:

@Bonbon223.  Another poster had the same problem. Don’t know if she posted what the outcome was.

New Contributor
Your skepticism is kind harsh and rude especially to knick someone when they are down. Thanks for your unwanted comments.
New Contributor
I've been saving for a big ticket item like a bread machine. I watch QVC all the time and have bought several things. Just didn't think it would be that big of a deal saving my gift cards for something meaningful.
Respected Contributor

So sorry you missed the opportunity to purchase something special at QVC.  

Today people have become experts at practicing swindles and scams on honest shoppers.

They can copy the gift card numbers at stores where they are displayed and then wait for them to become activated by checking online and use them illegally.

You cannot really blame CS because they have no control over gift cards sold off site. Unfortunately police are too busy to follow up and stores just take the loss.

A safer route may be for your MIL to send you an "e-gift card" directly from the company.

You have had a sad, hard and unfair experience, but please do not allow it to ruin your joy of shopping! I know your MIL wants you to have something special because she cares about you. Best wishes.