New Contributor

GIFT EXCHANGER BEWARE! (and a rude customer service rep!)

[ Edited ]

I'll begin with: I am a QVC customer, and have been for many years.

I received a pair of gray Earth Origins clogs for Christmas from my mother.  I already own a gray pair, so I asked her for the original return/exchange slip so that I could send them back to exchange for the same clogs, but a different color.

I contacted QVC about the exchange.  The customer service rep I spoke with told me that she was leaving notes on the order regarding the exchange (same size, but different color). When speaking with her I mentioned that I do not live near my mother, who is currently out of town for an extended period, so I will need to have the exchange sent to me, since I was the GIFT RECEIVER! and nobody is available to receive a delivery at the original purchaser's residence.  Makes sense, RIGHT?????  She told me to include a note with the return/exchange slip as to where the new pair of clogs should be sent.  

I followed her instructions and was awaiting my new shoes.

This past week when I contacted customer service because I had neither seen nor heard anything about the order (it had been 12 days from the day I returned them), I was told that they would be delivered the next day. Yay!

This morning I contacted customer service again because I still have not received them. The rep I spoke with told me they had been delivered...TO THE GIFT PURCHASER'S ADDRESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I explained to her that I had followed the instructions of the original rep to which she responded, "Well, the system is not set up to return items that way. The person you spoke to was wrong."  This morning's rep was RUDE:  speaking in a "snotty" tone of voice and interrupting me multiple times while I was explaining the situation and attempting to ask questions. 

THE REP: "They were delivered. What do you want me to do?  I can only issue you a refund." 

WHY WOULD YOU SHIP A GIFT EXCHANGE TO THE GIFT PURCHASER AND NOT RECEIVER?  

C'mon QVC!  Different answers from different reps and a ridiculous exchange policy. 

So very disappointing. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: GIFT EXCHANGER BEWARE! (and a rude customer service rep!)

I can certainly understand your frusration, @lmo76 .  However, I must side with the Q on this one.  Your mother ordered them and had them delivered to her address.  So, QVC had to send them to her address 'cause she was the purchaser.  Had your mom sent the gift directly to your address, then QVC could have sent them directly to you.  You ust realize QVC has no way of knowing these were a gift to you so inho it would be like your purchasing something and they delivered it to a different address like your neighbor's per se.  They've got to follow the paper trail in other words.

As far as the customer service rep being, you could have asked to be transferred to a supervisor and made a complaint at that time - doubt that they record all calls, but if there have been other complaints they'd be aware they've got an employee who might be better off working in another position.

At this point, I'd just let it go:  it is what it is.....

Esteemed Contributor

QVC handled it properly.   Who's home and who's not isn't their responsibility.  Getting your exchange satisfied.....is.

Sorry

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme I could very well be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've read here a number of times that people request to speak to a supervisor and have been told that it's not possible.

Respected Contributor

@lmo76 take the money and run.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@eddyandme I could very well be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I've read here a number of times that people request to speak to a supervisor and have been told that it's not possible.

That being the case, the caller should request/demand to have a supervisor call back.  If no callback, write a complaint letter to the PTB admin asst or PR dept.  A no callback is unacceptable, imho.

Honored Contributor

It's obvious to me that the OP is very upset about this as evidenced by the tone of her post here, so I can only imagine the tone used with the CS rep.

I'm not saying that the CS rep wasn't rude, since I wasn't privy to this particular conversation.

But I CAN say that after shopping here for over 25 years, I have never had a CS rep be rude to me.

Sometimes some people interpret not getting what they want, as being rude.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I wonder what the working conditions are for the customer service reps.  Do they all work in cubicles in one big room where there are supervisors available to handle unusual requests?   I can't imagine any company giving carte blanche to a first-level CS person to authorize shipping anything to anyone other than the purchaser.

I know OP was frustrated, but whoever was on the other end probably was also.  Two frustrated prople rarely get to a proper solution. 

As for the BEWARE warning -   not applicable here.  I don't want QVC to have a policy to send anything I order to an address I personally don't authorize.

Highlighted
New Contributor

You are correct in that you can only assume since you were not privy to the phone call.

I was actually pleasant with the rep until she continued to interrupt me as I was trying to explain the situation and ask questions.  

And... just because you've never had a rep be rude to you, doesn't mean it can't happen.

By no means did I "interpret not getting what they want, as being rude".

Thanks!

New Contributor

No need to be sorry.

The fact that nobody was home to receive a delivery is not the problem, and I agree that it's not QVC's responsibility. 

Being told 2 different things by 2 different people (the seccond of whom was snippy even though I started the conversatoin very politely) who work in the same department for the same company, is.  

Had I been given the correct infromation from the very beginning, this whole scenario would have turned out very differently.