Trusted Contributor

Free Exchanges? Not always..

I’ve recently had a few orders I’ve sent back and requested an exchange for a different size or color. In the past, if an item was sold out in the requested color/size I would get a full refund including original shipping. Lately, I’ve been getting a partial refund (less original shipping) even when the new size/color is still available.

Most recently, I sent back a barefoot dreams sweater - item #A571913 - asking for an exchange for a larger size in color Mineral. Even though there are still plenty of Mineral size medium and large available, I was given a partial refund (less $3.50 shipping). That means that if I go ahead and order it in the size I wanted as an exchange, I just pay another $3.50 for shipping so am out a total of $7 shipping for the exchange.

I never had a problem with “exchanges” in the past and this seems like a newer issue in 2023. I also sent back a pair of Laurie Felt jeans asking for an exchange for a larger size and I was simply given a refund less shipping.

In both cases I used the original return label to ship back the item for an exchange. Should I do something differently with exchanges to ensure they are processed rather than a partial refund? Both items were sent back in new condition with tags still in place as they simply were too small and I wanted a larger size as a free exchange. In both cases the larger size was (and is) still available and on stock, but an exchange was not processed. Please advise how to obtain free exchanges as o am happy to print out a return label instead of that is more reliable for exchanges.

Thank you!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Free Exchanges? Not always..

@Mrsq2022    Did you call Cudtomer Service.  I'm sure they could straighten that out for you.

Respected Contributor

@Mrsq2022. I  was just about to post on the same topic.   I don't know how people are getting exchanges.  EVERYTIME I  try to exchange,  instead I get a partial refund.   $10.45 less than it should be.  Seems that whoever's processing the package is just assuming it is a return and not looking at the paperwork. 

To be fair,  when I call customer service they give me either the refund or exchange,  but, that is an additional step for me, the customer. I wonder how much money the Q is making from people not checking how much money is being refunded to them.  $10.45 a pop can really add up for them. 

Granted,  I am not a serial exchanger/returner,  maybe 4 or 5 times since this process started,  but, it has happened every time.  I'm tired of it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mrsq2022 @Travone 

Has happened to me several times  for exchanges .   QVC does not detail  the return payment  as some companies do , so you have to check every time . It should not be the customer responsibility in checking as to if a company is following their own posted  guidlelines and advertisements . There is such a things as business ethics and  truth in advertising .

Trusted Contributor

I have also had bad luck with requested exchanges; I don't think the person handling the return bothers to even check for inventory some of the time.

Esteemed Contributor

Unless I called Customer Service right away, mine were processed as a refund and inevitably the item was sold out, so no chance for exchange. 

Honored Contributor

If you think you are due a refend on shipping charges, contact the Social Team by email including your order #   qvcsocialteam@qvc.com. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I always call CS when doing an exchange.  That way the exchange is processed quickly and there is no error on the return postage.  Saves me time and frustration.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

This has happened to me the last 3 times I have tried to exchange. One time, I received the we've got your exchange email & 3 weeks later asked customer service where the item was. It had been credited!!!!

I once tried to get customer service to do an exchange for me & told her/him returns just ignore exchanges. They told  me they're not supposed to handle them; the returns dept. Is supposed to do it & she wouldn't do it or it was too much of a bother.

No one seems to want to do them. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've always had good luck with exchange requests in the past, but over the past couple of months, I've ended up in the same boat as others here—getting an incorrect refund instead that requires a followup with customer service. I think QVC must be trying to streamline the process to handle refunds more quickly, but it is causing more problems instead of fixing things.

With my most recent exchange attempt, I actually was notified that a refund had been applied to my account within about five days of dropping off the package at the post office. This meant that I had no chance for anyone to even try to process an exchange, which was very frustrating. And then a few days later, the charge for the return label showed up, so I had to contact customer service for a refund anyway.

I really hope this isn't the new approach to handling all packages sent with the QVC return label because it is just bad business. Automatic refunds only work if the return is due to a customer simply not wanting an item; if the return is for an exchange or is the result of a product defect, they'll lose any efficiencies or savings they were hoping to gain as their service staff is called upon to handle more and more followup requests.

ETA: And unfortunately, reaching out to the Easy Returns Team has gone from a simple, helpful option to yet another source of frustration. They used to get back to me within 48 hours, but now it seems more like a week, and the responses aren't even customized at times. And even if I get a refund fairly quickly, I ALWAYS get charged for the return label, so if that was incorrect, I have to contact someone again.