Honored Contributor

Re: False Advertising - David's Cookies

@gnomie1 wrote:

David's pride themselves on being predominantly kosher.

As someone who keeps kosher and baking is my #1 hobby, one can use butter in baked goods (as I say, everything is better with butter), however the finish product will be considered Kosher Dairy so it can not be eaten if any meat products were consumed within a specific period of time. Cookies made without any dairy products are Kosher Paerve (eggs are considered paerve, not dairy), which means they can be eaten without any restriction with a meat or dairy meal.

I just checked the QVC website for the ingredents for David's cookies - although margarine is used instead of butter, they are still marked as Kosher Dairy - if that is the case, there is no reson not to use butter, other than it is more expensive than margarine. Looking at the ingredents, they use the cheapest available - instead of whole milk, they use non-fat dry milk, inferior chocolate and artificial vanilla. There is nothing premium about these cookies. I am surprised that the QVC legal clearance department allows the presentation to state "butter", when there is no butter listed as an ingredient. It is illegal in most States to claim ingredents that are not present in the final item.

Shoekitty said   You are so right, and thank you for the info.   a long time ago I bought them as a gift and looked at ingredients. Geesh, talk about cheepo!    even reasonable grocery store cookies carry butter, whole milk and such in several cookie types.  Andfor a few bucks.  I

Contributor

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and research.  I appreciate each of you.

Respected Contributor

Butter is my preference over margarine too.  Saying that, I have to tell you, I just got my David's order a couple of days ago.  Yesterday I baked a dozen of the lemon and a dozen of the raisin/oatmeal.  I thought they were very tasty.  It sure is simple.  No mixing and cleanup.  The cookie dough will keep in the freezer for months.  A small amount of margarine won't be the cause of our deaths.  It's just my husband and me at home these days, so I am happy with the convenience and the taste of the product. 

Honored Contributor

@maximillian, I totally agree with you. I think the cookies are very good and so easy and quick to bake. 

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@buddysgirl wrote:

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and research.  I appreciate each of you.

@Kachina624, as you can see the OP did thank everyone, not everyone has time to be out here 24/7. There was no need  for your nasty post and anyone else would have had the good grace to apologize. Perhaps this can be a lesson learned for you.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN    I did not write a nasty post.  That was YOU.  Its sad we have to remind people to say "thank you" or to be polite.  I did acknowledge her second post as soon as I saw it, hours ago.

You obviously have not learned a lesson nor have you complied with my request to ignore my posts.  Just can't help yourself obviously.  I'm flattered.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I ordered then canceled when I saw in the ingredients listed that they use margarine and not butter.  David's has always touted the use of butter in their products, so I was little surprised. It's kind of misleading.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't care for David's cookies .  Bought them at Christmas time and they don't bake up well ,  found them to be too flat once cooled .   we prefer a chunckier chewy cookie. I'll continue to make my own.  It's probably because of the margarine which I didn't know till now ,   Thought it was butter .    Tried to bake less minutes then they just weren't done .  I called CS and received a credit and donated them to our  local food bank .. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used to get them from HSN years ago and it was a great go to when I worked at the school.  I tried them last year and my guts could not tolerate them as there is no real butter but a blend of oils, which is to me fake margarine.  In order to get the non flat cooked correct cookies, took me awhile to figure is NO hot oven, very cold dough and NO parchment paper or silicone mats on the cookie sheet and no fake butter.  I can agree terrible product.