Esteemed Contributor

Re: Elderly mother overspending on QVC

[ Edited ]

Hey,I did the same thing (almost) when my DH died........20 yrs ago and I wasn't elderly... QVC kept me company for yrs and yrs.and my QCd bill was 4 or 5 thousand a month.I could afford it and my Bill was always paid in full BTW  The hosts were like family  . Very different type hosts now.Son used to complain about the "baskets" of deliverys I got  from the mailman......

It was very hard to stop,it is an addiction and to tell the truth I didn't stop untill QVC changed ,to the  way it is today.....lol........and  now I'm,Addicted to Amazon............lol  which may be worse.......you think it in the morning ,you have it that afternoon .but it is so much cheaper...lol

Maybe the S bank will help.They are tough on credit cards and if you cannot pay,they don't like you very much...........maybe if you carefully explain the situation they will help.

But if your mom is happy and she is paying her bills on time  (but i see you say she borrows)..........let her enjoy.......It's only your inheritence she is spending..........sorry.

BTW I like staying home too.I allow 3 hrs away and then I MUST get home to my furbaby  <3

Regular Contributor

similiar issue...just last week my boyfriend called qvc because his mom is ordering multiples of things (not remembering she just already ordered)  She can afford it..it's the point of not needing 3 of everything..   so now qvc said when she orderes they will send an email to him so he can see what is going on and hopefully cancel multiples before processing...   we'll see.   

Respected Contributor

You sound like a very loving daughter. Would you be able too regularly return items, instead of her giving the items away she’d get credit.

Honored Contributor

@sophiamaria2 wrote:

similiar issue...just last week my boyfriend called qvc because his mom is ordering multiples of things (not remembering she just already ordered)  She can afford it..it's the point of not needing 3 of everything..   so now qvc said when she orderes they will send an email to him so he can see what is going on and hopefully cancel multiples before processing...   we'll see.   

I have to say. that's really very nice of them to offer to contact him before processing purchases... I'm surprised they're able to do that...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

Big hugs to you for trying to deal with this.  I imagine its quite tough.  

I agree that QVC's business model does not help the situation when it is a 24 hour TV channel and the sales tactics which are used. 

Is there an email address associated with the orders your mother is placing which you could obtain access to?  Being retired and elderly I'm guessing she doesn't  have one.  If you could at least be notified of the orders ahead of time and maybe intercept and cancel them.  Due to privacy laws I don't know how much Customer Service at QVC or the credit card can help if you are not listed on the account?  

Have you sat down with her to make a monthly budget which she needs to live up to?  Within her budget maybe she could afford a couple purchases but needs to think hard about those choices.

Honored Contributor

I really feel for your situation with your mother.  That would be tough.  Could you block the station?  With my Tivo I can go in and remove stations from the on screen guide.  I think she still might be able to go to the channel directly though, which wouldn't help.  Maybe there's another way to block the channel.  I would block the other shopping channels, too, so she won't substitute another one for QVC.  I know she enjoys them, but she could enjoy HGTV or something else that wouldn't cause her to go bankrupt.

If you had a serious conversation with her, could you get her to cancel her QVC card?  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@RileyCat Stop paying her real estate taxes and stop letting her “borrow” money from you. You will do these things if you really want her to stop.  If your name is not on the real estate, there should be no consequences for you if she defaults. She’s an adult FPS. She’s doing it because she can. When she has to face some consequences, she’ll stop.   As long as you bail her out, why should she?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

Your mother has problems and I sympathize with you but QVC didn't cause her problems and QVC does not prey on anyone or make customers buy anything.  The fact that mother is house bound says it all.  She has problems in her life that do not include money.  If you think your mother is mentally unable to manage her affairs, you should see an attorney to find out what your options are.  Qvc isn't going to be a financial babysitter.  It's a tough situation, you have to find out what your legal options are.  If there are any.     

Honored Contributor

What your mother is doing is quite common.  Our news showed where an elderly woman who lost her husband bought a couple of hundred of thousands of dollars in QVC merchandise.  She spent her husband's life insurance money.  When she got behind on her bills and it was investigated, there were rooms and rooms in her home, plus the garage full of unopened boxes.

The merchandise was auctioned off and I got two Dooney handbags and a matching Dooney wallet.

My mother in law remortgaged her home and took the cash to Atlantic City to gamble.  There are bus trips everyday and she was going at least once a week.  What a mess that was.

The older family relative of mine that I take care of, spent all of her money...several hundreds of thousand of dollars and gave some away too, then she took out a loan on her house.  Now she is she broke and living on $1200 a month.  She will never pay off her house again or pay her CC's off. My younger brother pays her real estate taxes and buys some groceries and gives her cash...which she blows or gives away.

I buy groceries and pay doctor office copays $35 and take her where ever she needs to go.  I also buy her clothing.  She is 80 years old. This women used to be a CPA, so she used to know how to handle money.

This is serious.  I don't know what you can do to help your mother, but thank goodness you found out before it got really bad.  You might have to apply tough love here.

Best of luck.

Honored Contributor

@RileyCat 

I assume you have talked to her and she is unwilling or unable to stop buying?  In that case, you have to do something.   You need to go to an area aging agency or somewhere that has help for elderly people and their relatives.  A lawyer would be your best bet.

If you don't do anything, she could give away anything she has--all her money, her house, etc.  People love to con the elderly or scare them out of their property.

Can you come to an agreement with mom about you and sister managing her finances?  You could leave her one account with a certain "allowance" every month, or fill a gift card with a certain amount evey month and close the credit card accounts or freeze them.

If not, think about what steps you can take to legally assume responsibility for her.  I don't know what it will be do the relationship, and only you and sister can decide how critical it is.  

I do not envy you in the least.  I am so sorry you are going through this.

Also, if you can get her to agree to it, someone needs to be the designated payee for Social Security  while she is still competent.  IF NOT you have to have an official statement from a doctor that she cannot handle her affairs.  Social Security does not accept Power of Attorney.