New Contributor

Elderly mother overspending on QVC

My mother is retired and does not like to leave the house.  She spends all of her time shopping on QVC... shopping with money she does not have.  She is on a small fixed income.  She maxed out her QVC card, and then took out a personal loan to pay it off, and is now running it up again while still paying on the loan.  My sister and I have had to pay her house taxes more times than I can count.  We don't know how to stop her.  She is buying useless stuff she does not need and gives most of it away when she realizes that it's not a great as the presentation.  She has a problem, but I also feel that to some extent, the QVC business model preys on these lonely people that start to see the hosts as their friends.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can correct this situation without declaring my mother legally incompetent to handle her own finances?  Would QVC work with me to monitor her account, or has anyone else dealt with a similar situation and can offer some advice?

Respected Contributor

Re: Elderly mother overspending on QVC

I feel for you. Fortunately I don't have a problem like your mom although I am retired and shop QVC but not nearly to her extent and I do not have a Q card, NO WAY !. Does your mom have any friends she can get out of the house with and go to lunch or the movies ?  Maybe they can help with getting her out of the house. Does she have any hobbies (other than QVC?)  QVC is not going to change their business model as you know but maybe they can work with you to put a freeze on her account. Best of luck to you. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Get a professional evaluation as to whether she is competent to handle her own finances if you and sib stop paying her property tax.

She would benefit from getting out of the house regularly, and having something else to focus on during her idle hours at home.

Introduce her to these forums. 

Blaming QVC, which offers retail sales via TV broadcast...well...no...

On the other hand, if she doesn't make her payments in a timely manner she'll ruin her credit rating, plus QVC will cut her off anyhow.

Her credit rating is far more valuable than her ability to shop at any particular retailer. Does she understand that?

That brings us back to my first paragraph.

Respected Contributor

Block the channel on her tv.  Tell her her provider no longer carries it.

Esteemed Contributor

I just saw you posted the same thing in another forum.  That's not allowed.  Maybe mods will combine the threads for you?

Trusted Contributor

@RileyCat - just wanted to give you (((hugs))) for having to deal with an aging parent who isn't as competent as she used to be.  I am just getting to that stage with my mother and it's challenging.

I don't have any easy answers, as most of it depends on how incompetent your mother has become.  Dave Ramsey, the financial expert, says that he has counseled many elderly women who fall into debt because they shop excessively from T.V., due to loneliness and boredom.  

One of my childhood friends had a similar dilemma.  When her mother's dementia became bad enough they had to put her in a facility, they were shocked to find a large room in her home that was stacked from floor to ceiling with unopened boxes from QVC.  They returned as many as they could until QVC sent them "threatening" letters to stop returning old merchandise.  At least in my friend's case, the mother was wealthy enough that it did not cause bad financial consequences. 

If you can find a counselor to talk with, or a local agency for the elderly, maybe they can help.  Sending you best wishes!

Honored Contributor

@RileyCat

A message board is the LAST PLACE for something as serious as this if true.

Why didn't you CALL QVC about your concerns?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@RileyCat, I’m with @Mz iMac.  I would contact customer service.  I am sure it’s not the first time they have dealt with an issue like this.  LM

Honored Contributor

Close her Q account & cut up that card.

If you don't want to cut the card up call Synchrony & have the limit lowered.

If she can afford it & that's how she chooses to spend her money that's one thing but that's not the case.

Block all the sale channels as another poster replied.

As another poster stated once she can't pay her bills she will ruin her credit.

New Contributor

Thank you!  It's nice just to have someone to listen. My mother wants to stay in her own home.  At this point, her activities of daily living (bathing, making meals, cleaning the house, etc...) are good.  It's mostly financial issues.  She's "borrowing" money off of my sister regularly, and me on occasion for taxes and untilities.

She hates leaving the house.  We try to take her out or get her to go out with friends, but if it's too hot, too cold, raining, snowing, too sunny, etc... she won't leave.

I thought about blocking the channel, but she just loves watching it so much.  I'd like for her to be able to watch and not buy, but maybe that isn't realistic.  I'll call QVC and see if they can help us.  We had a similiar situation years ago with my mother-in-law before she passed away.  In that case, we did return so much that QVC closed her account.  My mother hides her purchases, so we've been unable to control them from that regard.  Thanks for listening and the suggestions.