Dooney & Bourke handbag straps

I purchased a Dooney & Bourke handbag about a year ago.  I love the bag but I'm having a problem with the strap handles.  There is a thin strip of either leather or leather-like trim on the edges of the handles and the stripping is coming loose.  Has anyone else had that problem.  I have used the bag exclusively since I purchased it and I love the shape of the bag, the color and the convenient construction of the inside of the bag.  Is there a way to fix this problem?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Dooney & Bourke handbag straps

Usually the edges on many handbag straps are painted.  Perhaps this is the paint peeling off.  Dooney can repair them for you.  I don't buy Dooneys but I do know they have repaired bags for purchasers here and on their site.  FYI-my daughter has a very expensive Chloe satchel and the edges on part of the crossbody strap are getting rough. So it can happen on all makes of bags.  Explore your avenues of repair.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Colmus13

If it has been less than a year, it would be under their guarantee.

We believe there's only one way to properly craft a Dooney & Bourke product, and that's with rigorous attention to detail and using only the highest quality materials and components available.

Dooney & Bourke products prove their enduring value by improving with age. Everything with our Dooney & Bourke mark is designed and built to provide a lifetime of use and enjoyment.

And that's why we back everything we make with our ironclad Dooney Guarantee. We stand behind the durability of our leather goods and offer an unconditional guarantee against any defects in craftsmanship for a full year of normal use.

Honored Contributor

@Colmus13

THE DOONEY & BOURKE REPAIR/REPLACEMENT PROGRAM

REPAIRS:
After the initial year covered by our guarantee, we will gladly repair any Dooney & Bourke bag or accessory that has become damaged or worn. Repair costs vary, depending on the condition of the item, but will not exceed half of the current retail price for that particular style. Once we receive an item for repair, we will inspect the item, advise you of repair costs (via mail, allow 1-2 weeks) and request your approval before any repair work takes place. If your bag or accessory is beyond repair or if repair costs exceed half of the current retail price you will be eligible for a replacement.

REPLACEMENTS:
If an item is beyond repair, or if the repair costs exceed half of the current retail price, you have the option of having it replaced. You will be offered credit for half the current retail price of that item to apply toward a replacement item of equal or greater value. Cannot be applied to sale prices. Please note: The original item will not be returned to you. Once you have authorized a replacement, this item will be destroyed.

PROCESSING:
To repair or replace an item please return it to our factory with your name, address, and phone number (day and evening) via insured mail or UPS. Be sure to include a description of the repair / replacement needed. Allow 1-2 weeks for a written response and 4-6 weeks time for your requested repair and/or replacement.

Dooney & Bourke, Inc.
Att: Return Department
1 Regent Street
E. Norwalk, CT 06855

If you have any questions, we're here to help. Contact us at (800) 347-5000 or service@dooney.com.

NOTE: Dooney & Bourke reserves the right to reject or cancel any order at any time and provide a refund of any amounts paid.

Did you ever get an answer to this?  My handbag is having the same problem.  It's out of warranty.  I tryng to see if there is a way I could fix it myself with some kind of glue maybe.  Otherwise, any idea on the cost for D & B to repair?  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

@Deneane: Try checking out your local shoe repair shops. In a lot of cases, they repair handbags as well as shoes.