Contributor

Disposing of receipts/invoices

Does anyone have suggestions for how to dispose of receipts/invoices that come with merchandise? If I run them through the shredder, the adhesive on the receipt gums up the shredder and if I use the ink roller on the glossy receipts I can see the info through it. Cutting them with scissors seems to be a poor choice for hiding info on the receipt. 

I'm at a loss for ideas. Can anyone help me with this? TIA!  item

Honored Contributor

Re: Disposing of receipts/invoices

I put sticky labels between two pieces of paper in a paper shredder.  Haven't had a problem.  

Respected Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I put sticky labels between two pieces of paper in a paper shredder.  Haven't had a problem.  

Genius how I wish I had done this because I made the mistake of putting the QVC invoice through my shredder and now it will not work.

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @Foxxee 

Esteemed Contributor

Got a storage box and store the receipts.  I really don't want to rid myself of them for two years.  Then I simply shred them or tear them up.  

Honored Contributor

@sann wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

Genius how I wish I had done this because I made the mistake of putting the QVC invoice through my shredder and now it will not work.

I gummed up my shredder with something by accident, can't remember now what it was but there were instructions that came with the machine how to clean it.  I think I recall you use a few drops of light oil & keep trying to turn it on until the oil works through.   Light oil is like a sewing machine oil, not cooking oil.    I had to keep running it back & forth and it eventually worked.     The instructions say to do the oil treatment every so often to keep the machine working properly.   If you don't have your manual, you may be able to find one online

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I've been doing this for years. Still a bit of gumminess if you do several in a row @Item2 , so space them out between shredding other papers.

Honored Contributor

I just cut them up  with scissors and put the pieces spread out in different garbage containers. For very important documents... I take a bag once a year to a free shredding event in my neighborhood. 

Trusted Contributor

I fold the sticky part back on itself and then send it through the shredder so the sticky aprt is not exposed.

Contributor

Smiley HappyThank you all for your suggestions! I knew I'd get helpful answers from you nice folks. 

item