Valued Contributor

Re: Disposing of receipts/invoices

@Item2 wrote:

Smiley HappyThank you all for your suggestions! I knew I'd get helpful answers from you nice folks. 

item

Thank you for asking that question and for  Foxee answer.

Just recently brought from QVC the ROYAL SHREDDER like it ,and then saw another brand being sold on HSN and that vendor was  selling sheets with  oil  on the sheets to use to clean the shredder.So I wrote to ROYAL and asked about the sheets the other company was selling and the reply was not to use any oil on the ROYAL SHREDDER .

They do have in their instructions not to put the sticky  labels sheets through which is one reason I got machine so I now know to use the 2 sheet method sounds like a great idea,because I did try the ink rollers and on shiny papers just didn't work, could read through what I was trying to hide.

Trusted Contributor

Oiling a shredder is something I just caught onto. Should be done as ongoing maintenance. I think they should say that if buying from an on-air network, or it should be on the box somewhere if buying from brick and mortar.

I threw away a shredder that probably was not broken, just needed oiling.

I get a bottle of Fellows Performance Oil from Amazon.

You just zig zag the oil over a sheet of paper, and you shred it. Once the paper is shredded, push the reverse button and let it just run in reverse for 15 seconds to let the oil coat all the teeth evenly.

I do a lot of shredding so I do it every 3-4 weeks. Because the teeth are oily, sticky labels don't stick.

Wish I would have known this before I threw out a perfectly good shredder and spent another $100 for a new one Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@gabstoomuch   

Me too!  Tossed out my shredder.

Had to shred a lot of soft, pulpy paper, and the stuff that jammed between the blades was more like fabric lint, as though I'd run strips of felt through the blades.

Oil will act as a solvent on adhesives, but nothing would un-sieze my shredder. 😢

Valued Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I put sticky labels between two pieces of paper in a paper shredder.  Haven't had a problem.  

@Foxxee 

That's what I do too.  I sandwich it between 2 pieces of other paper I am going to shred.

Honored Contributor

Our Township has free shredding events at least once a year, usually in the Spring.

They allow up to 4 bankers boxes of material to be shredded. And the shredding truck is right there. So you watch your paper being shredded.

Super Contributor

@SeaMaiden, that's' what I do!!💗

Esteemed Contributor

Put the sticky side on a paper you are shredding, or, place in an envelope you are shredding.