New Contributor

Did anyone get a letter from Lisa Norden regarding their returns and return rate

I just received a letter dated 10/20 that quite frankly I'm concerned with.  The text of the letter starts out with " We've noticed you've been returning quite a few orders with us recently.  In fact, between August of 2015 and July of 2016, you returned 71% of your total purchases of 31 items.  We want you to be delighted with each and every purchase, so we're writing to offer some suggestions on how to improve your QVC shopping experience.  To make sure an item is right for you, you can watch our on-air presentations, check out QVC.com for product details and videos, and read customer review.  You can also check out sizing chargs and view pictures and color swatches.  We hope that by simply bringing your returns activity to your attention and offering you the above tips, you'll be able to decrease your need for future returns.  Please give these suggestions a try.  If you still have questions before ordering an item, you can contact a representative any time at 800-345-1515.  They'll be more than happy to help you.  Thanks for shopping at QVC.  Sincerely, Lisa Norden, VP of Customer Service & Experience".  So I get the intent of the letter, but this is "return shaming" in my eyes.  I already take advantage of the ways that I can to make a purchase.  If QVC's intent was to find out why I am returning items, or what they could do better, than I'm all for it.  But I find this letter to be NOT customer service friendly, and I'm seriously considering not ordering from QVC ever again.  I've never gotten a letter like this from HSN, which I also shop a lot on, Amazon or any other retailer that offers online or instore purchases.  QVC if you're monitoring this post, I would like a reply from a customer service representative, with the name of Lisa Norden's boss.  Whoever approved this letter to be sent out should be ashamed.  All of us have our reasons for returning items.  The whole point of TV or online ordering is to get the item home, inspect it, and decide if it fits the need we were seeking to fulfill.  That's the nature of your business QVC.  People are going to return items that the sizing was off, or it they just didn't like it, or it wasn't a good value for them when they received the item.  "Return Shaming" is just unacceptable in my eyes.  I read customer reviews all the time on QVC before purchasing.  And there are a lots of comments from folks about sizing being off, or returning an item because it just didn't fit their body type.  That's it for me.  I just received a package yesterday of the Cuddle Duds TSV.  You have now managed to piss me off so bad, I'm going to return them, pay off my balance of Easy Pay and leave the Q for good.  You have one chance to make this right.... Let's hope your Marketing VP has some other things to say besides lecturing me on my returns over the past year. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Did anyone get a letter from Lisa Norden regarding their returns and return rate

Unfortunately, they don't have an incentive here to "make this right".

They don't want a customer with that kind of return rate. They would rather lose your business altogether if this rate continues and this letter is a warning before they end up cancelling your account. 

Lots of people get this letter (it's called The Letter on here!)

IT's horrible and doesn't seem fair but that's how it is.

Valued Contributor

Re: Did anyone get a letter from Lisa Norden regarding their returns and return rate

Over 70% is a lot of returns though.

Esteemed Contributor

Although this letter might be upsetting, 71% is quite high for a return rate...can't imagine how much you've spent on shipping charges...

Respected Contributor

Interesting.

I recently called CS about something and mentioned to them that I have had NUMEROUS  returns of clothes because of being sent the wrong size.

I was asked to be patient as they had lots of new seasonal help that was recently hired and the error rate in fulfillment was high!!

If I get a letter I will be giving them a very bad day!

New Contributor

erRe: Did anyone get a letter from Lisa Norden regarding their returns and return rate

Thanks for letting me know that it's called "The Letter".  Yes 71% is high, I agree.  But when you check size charts, and order by their recommendation, but it still doesn't fit, what can a person do.  What ticks me off, is that I order more frequently and spend way more money with HSN.  I return items to them with the same frequency that I have with QVC.  I have never received such a letter from them over this.  And, I might note, I always read the comments on a particular item that I'm ordering which is usually clothing or shoes, to seek customer feedback before I order.  It should be no surprise to QVC with the comment threads on items, that folks either didn't like the item's value, or it just didn't look good on them, or MORE IMPORTANTLY that sizing is off.  I have read so many comments where folks just won't order a particular brand anymore on QVC because of sizing issues.  To address my return rate in this fashion is unacceptable.  I wonder how QVC would address this if it was blasted on social media?  The reason my return rate also appears so high, is that if I find an item I think might work, and I really like it, I order it in multiples.  I travel 50 weeks out of the year for my job.  Going to the mall is not always an option for me.  Online retailing works for me.  If QVC is no longer interested in my business, than so be it.  HSN sure doesn't have a problem with the money that I spend, or the returns that I ship back.  If you don't want returns, then don't offer clothing as an online retailer.  Better yet, don't be an online retailer.  Returns are the nature of onlilne/TV shopping.  This is ridiculous.

Trusted Contributor

All retailers do this.  I had a neighbor a few years ago have his Amazon account shut down for too many returns.  He got the warning letter and continued to purchase and return things.  They eventually closed his account.  He asked me to order things for him on my account. No way. Didn't happen.  I know HSN sends a letter too because I have seen people complain about it in their forum.  I used to work retail.  Returns are costly for both you and the company.  That's just business 101.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think this letter is horrible at all.  In short, excessive returns cost the company money which is passed on to the customers.  Too bad she can't take it in the spirit intended, to improve her shopping experience.

Serial returnees can blame sizing charts, inconsistant sizing or the full moon but when you post here, we shoppers know that these things don't cause a 71+% return rate.  We buy the same clothing and most of us don't get letters.  There is something wrong with you or the way you're making your selections.

If you came here for sympathy, sorry but that's not going to happen.  Most of us do research before making the decision to buy, which admittedly takes some time and effort.  We check measurements, study fabric content, watch the models who most accurately reflect our sizes and read reviews of others who've made purchases.

Too bad you didn't come here sooner.  We could have given you some advice BEFORE you got the letter.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I would honestly think that yes, if a customer's return rate is 71%, QVC flat out would not want them as a customer unless that rate dropped to maybe 15-20%. I don't blame them, with that high a return rate - almost 3/4 of everything purchased. Regardless of the reasons (and it cannot be all QVC's fault) they are letting you know it has to stop.

Since the OP brings up being ashamed, my opinion is that someone who returns 71% of what they order should be ashamed. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Sorry I have NO sympathy for you - 71% is a huge return rate for any business. If you returned 71% of 31 items you kept 8 items.

QVC can not run a profitable business with that right of a return rate.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.