Occasional Contributor

Customer service tells me to “significantly reduce my returns”

I got a letter from customer service today; it says; that I have been asked in 2020 to reduce my rate of returns. "More recently between 4/01/21 and 3/31/22 I have a 59% rate of returns of a total purchase of 82 items. And, if I don't greatly reduce my return rate, they will "have no choice but to close my QVC customer account and "terminate our business relationship" with me. 
QVC is breaking up with me!  No thanks for paying for all the 61% of the items I bought! Well I'll tell you how I'm gonna fix that. Bye bye QVC. Oh and keep telling everyone on air that "don't worry if it doesn't fit- you can return it within 30 days!" 

You know, they're really doing me a favor- ask my husband.

Marvsmom

Respected Contributor

Re: Customer service tells me to “significantly reduce my returns”

Well I guess they keep telling customers that an item can in fact be returned within 30 days is because it's true. They're speaking to the hundreds of thousand of customers that don't abuse the return policy. Customers in good standing.

Any customer that returns more than they actually buy cost this company, and other retailers, money. So they lose money. A loss that is then passed on to those customers that actually make a purchase and keeps it.

Once this company, like so many other retailers, decide you have abused their return policy they close your account so that you can no longer continue the merry-go-round of buy & return. If the account is closed, then no purchase can be made. The return policy doesn't apply to someone denied making another purchase.

Personally I think allowing someone to return over 50% before sending a notice is extremely generous of them. QVC allows a generous return rate as parts of their business model. I suspect striving for that percentage at other retailers will have someone curtailed far sooner.

Valued Contributor

@Etoile308  Your post was a good explanation and I did not consider what you covered in your post.  Once I read your comment I completely agree and deleted my post.  Thanks for clearing my head and thoughts, which will make me think longer before I post in the future.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Marvsmom wrote:

I got a letter from customer service today; it says; that I have been asked in 2020 to reduce my rate of returns. "More recently between 4/01/21 and 3/31/22 I have a 59% rate of returns of a total purchase of 82 items. And, if I don't greatly reduce my return rate, they will "have no choice but to close my QVC customer account and "terminate our business relationship" with me. 
QVC is breaking up with me!  No thanks for paying for all the 61% of the items I bought! Well I'll tell you how I'm gonna fix that. Bye bye QVC. Oh and keep telling everyone on air that "don't worry if it doesn't fit- you can return it within 30 days!" 

You know, they're really doing me a favor- ask my husband.

Marvsmom

@Marvsmom 

I don't understand why you think a 59% return rate is acceptable.   That's a retention rate of only 41% ... not 61%.    

This was a second warning after the first one in 2020, and you didn't change your buying habits.  Seems to me that you buy things on impulse and later regret it.  Whatever the reason, keeping only 41% of items purchased would be too high for many retailers other than QVC.

Frankly, I think the worst part of this was how much money was wasted in shipping things back and forth.

Honored Contributor

Let me start out by saying that I rarely, I mean almost never return anything. If it is the wrong item or doesn't work that is the exception. I will say that QVC or really any business should make it's rules clear right at the beginning. The OP really shouldn't be surprised, but I think all transactions of this nature should be clear right at the beginning. Just add that caveat when you advertise your return policy. 

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe it's QVC's and customers' fault.

If hosts wouldn't actually encourage returns, customers wouldn't return so much.

"Try it out for 30 days. If you don't like or it doesn't work out for you, return it."  They make it sound as if customers can return as much as they want after they wear it or use it for 30 days.  

What other retailer does that?  

An important point for me to make that has been made many times here is QVC's sketchy quality control.  They do spot check, but defective and poorly packaged orders resulting in damage still go out the door.  We're not supposed to notice sizing issues either.  QVC could insist manufacturers employ better quality control themselves or buy their merchandise elsewhere.    

However, customers should know not to believe QVC's anything goes return nonsense.  It's really just one of QVC's many sales tactics.  

Honored Contributor

I'm always amazed at the number of "new posters" who have dramatic bad experiences with QVC and all of a sudden after "years" of "shopping" suddenly post and vow to end their relationship.

As the Doors said:

"People are Strange."

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

i will never get a letter like that.

because, i would not continue to buy from someplace where i needed to return so much.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

82 purchases in a one year period.  82. That stopped me right off and then I remembered how many purchases I make on Amazon.

You returned way more than you kept, 59%.

I think QVC is more than generous with what they will tolerate for returns.  Do you do this at all retailers?

At some point, a company has to put a halt to that.  We are all paying for processing those returns.

I know you know this so you are not going to want or take advice from me, but if you do decide to continue shopping at QVC, you need to really think about each purchase. Slow it down.

After years and years of not buying clothing on QVC, I recently bought 2 tops and had to return both of them.  I felt horrible about that because I bought them with good intent. In the last month I have made 6 other purchases, which is really high for me (well, really just 2 orders, multiples of 2 different items) and I made sure going in that the items would fit my needs and they did so I ordered and kept all of them.  Well, will be keeping all of them once the 2nd order arrives.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

When I purchase something from anywhere, it is with the full intention of keeping it. But I am not going to keep something if it is not right.

Again, I have to return something from QVC because the product does not perform like it was advertised. I have no qualms about doing so.

Recently, I had to return a swim suit because the sizing was so way off from what was advertised and what they stated in the presentation.

Any other company gives an immediate refund w/ free shipping, a lot of times both ways.

If they spent more time in describing the merchandise and less time with telling us how many are sold, they might have fewer returns.

Like the copper socks they recently presented? I watched a presentation, and they did not go over sizing within the first 15 minutes. I finally left, and never did know if they ever showed a sizing chart.