Occasional Contributor

Cheapest way to return two XL air fryers?

Not happy with the air fryers.  One was a gift for an elderly relative who thought it was a completely different type of appliance than what was presented on air.  Thought it was more of a regular oven.  I ordered one for myself, without checking the reviews, which are universally mediocre to bad.  Only a 60 day warranty on a small appliance?

Boxes are heavy, guessing at least 10 lbs if not heavier.  I'm not a weakling, but even carrying to car from house (and vice versa) was a chore.  I think I'm leaning towards USPS and not using the Smart Label??

Anyhow, looking to return today, so I don't care if it takes all of January to get back to QVC.  Looking to minimize my cost.

Too bad I didn't order from Amazon.  Just got an order that I ordered yesterday afternoon at my door today by 10 a.m.   With Kohl's stores within a 30 minute drive all around me, yeah, I'll be almost ordering exclusively from Amazon in the future.  Lesson learned.

In addition to their distibution, product lineup, on air antics, the Q needs to update their website.  Every time I searched a forum, I had to login again.  Other websites remember me, at least per each browsing session so I don't have to continually have to login again and again.  And, I work as a liason between IT tech and the business units in my job, so I'm not computer illiterate.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on shipping.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cheapest way to return two XL air fryers?

I returned the recent leaf vacuum/blower - called CS - and they notified postal service to pick it up next morning.  Return label said charge would be $10 - and it was worth $10 to get rid of it.

Honored Contributor

@canary2sing     I would just donate both of them  to your local Good Will or charity store... get a tax donation slip and write off the full price for each in full on your taxes.

Be sure you donate before Jan 1( next week!).  if you want to write them off for 2019.

If you can not take it there  your self, have a friend or family member take it.  

I never return anything I buy  that I do not like...... I just donate and write it off on my taxes what I paid for it. No return shipping fees or anything. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden   With the new Federal Tax Laws, Most people now take the standard deduction.  In order to use charitable donations as a tax write off, you would need to itemize.

This has considerably cut down on charitable contributions.  There is no write off for taxes anymore for the majority of the population.

You can still do the write off for state taxes in most states, but many states do not tax retirement income, so you pay no taxes to get a write off anyway.

It is usually better to just return a product, or sell it if you need to recover your money.  You can still donate, but there is no gain to doing so, except the good feeling you get from doing something nice.

Esteemed Contributor

Probably using QVC's label or have packages weighed at US Post Office and see if parcel post is cheaper.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@canary2sing - With larger, heavier items, it is virtually always better to use the QVC return label. With smaller items that could go USPS First-Class, you'll sometimes lose money, but the Q is actually fairly generous with the shipping rates it offers on big items. As an example, I had to return a bedding set a year or so ago and thought the $10.95 rate seemed high, but due to the package's bulky size, paying for it myself would have set me back about $18.

If you happen to have a scale (postal or kitchen, not bathroom) and want to check the difference in price before you make your choice, you can enter your box dimensions and weights on the USPS or UPS website and calculate the shipping costs.

Whether you use USPS or UPS, you can schedule a pickup rather than having to go to the post office or UPS Store. That obviously isn't as helpful if you're set on getting your packages returned today, but if you can wait for the courier to come to your home, you'll just have to answer the door and hand off the boxes.

Good luck with your returns!

Respected Contributor

Your QVC return label will probably be the cheapest, would it be around $10?  

Honored Contributor

I'd use the QVC label and get a USPS pickup.  Cheaper and easier than dragging those around or weighing them.  You won't save much money by doing anything else.

I sure don't have the funds to donate anything I buy and need to return!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I know if I bought two air fryers and they didn't work out, donating them and basically "eating" the money I paid for them would not be an option.  Not for me, not for most people.  They are brand new.  I think using the QVC return label and having Usps pick them up is your best option.  

Honored Contributor

@canary2sing.  Sooner is correct...the QVC label would be the cheapest way to go.  Go to the USPS website and request a postal pick-up and you won't need to carry them anywhere, a free service coveted by the label.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment