New Contributor

Charging Tax on the shipping charge

QVC is the only company that I have ever bought from that charges tax on the shipping charge.  I buy from Amazon, Home Depot, ect and never am I ever charged a tax on the shipping. We end up paying more for the product we order when we are taxed the Product amount and the shipping amount. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Charging Tax on the shipping charge

ITA!! Here in MD we pay tax on all Q orders  and on the shipping fee, Evine is tax free, so is JTV and HSN on online orders, what a pleasure!1 Taxes are state regulated so we cannot blame the Q.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foodie Girl  I do not believe your information in correct.  I just looked at a few of my past orders and I do not see that they are doing that.

Honored Contributor

Some states charge tax on the s/h and others don't.  I'm not sure why or how QVC would be the only place charging you sales tax on the s/h amount.  Here in Ohio, we pay sales tax on s/h.  All the time no matter what company.  If I have to pay s/h, I am taxed on it.

As far as no taxes being charged, I am charged sales tax from all the shopping networks regardless of whether I order on-line or over the phone.  Even if you aren't charged sales tax when you place an order, if you are ordering something that you should be paying sales tax on, you are supposed to pay it at the time you file your income tax return.  It's not tax free.    

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here  is a link that explains a little of what is involved.  It is a very complicated deal.  It can involve what state you live in, if you are buying food, gift cards, if the company has a store in your state, just to hame a few....

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/legal-charge-tax-shipping-handling-65706.html

Honored Contributor

If you are paying tax on shipping it is because your state requires it.  I live in Tennessee and pay tax on shipping, too.  If other places are not charging you tax on shipping they are doing that in error.  You are then supposed to pay that tax on your income taxes.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Some states charge tax on the s/h and others don't.  I'm not sure why or how QVC would be the only place charging you sales tax on the s/h amount.  Here in Ohio, we pay sales tax on s/h.  All the time no matter what company.  If I have to pay s/h, I am taxed on it.

As far as no taxes being charged, I am charged sales tax from all the shopping networks regardless of whether I order on-line or over the phone.  Even if you aren't charged sales tax when you place an order, if you are ordering something that you should be paying sales tax on, you are supposed to pay it at the time you file your income tax return.  It's not tax free.    

@Lipstickdiva   I pay tax on every purchase.  I Just went back and checked my orders BUT I am charged tax on the amount of the purchase before shipping is added.  I don't know anywhere that I have shopped that don't charge tax.   Weird.  If I am in Pittsbugh where my family is, I shop for clothes because Florida taxes for clothing, which I think is wrong.  Pittsburgh has no tax on clothing.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

If you are paying tax on shipping it is because your state requires it.  I live in Tennessee and pay tax on shipping, too.  If other places are not charging you tax on shipping they are doing that in error.  You are then supposed to pay that tax on your income taxes.

Florida don't.  Only pay tax on the item itself.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Notice new poster---wonder if this is legit?

Honored Contributor

OP:  You can rest assured that QVC charges sales tax where LEGALLY required to do so.  Sales tax laws are very complex.