Last winter I ordered my very first Patricia Nash Handbag and truly love it.  It is the Primrose Satchel Tiger.  It is absolutely beautiful.  I didn't use it much in the warmer months and have it on a shelf in my closet.  I pulled it out recently and was shocked to find a white powder on the handles, insides, some on outside.  I have no idea what it is  but was wondering if it is a type of mold.  I have never been where this beautiful handbag could have been wet and my closet is a heated area so cold or dampness is not a problem.

I need to know how to clean this off.  I am truly at a loss as to how this happened and what it is.  I just ordered another of her handbags that was on the TSV about a week ago and wondering if I will have an issue with it.  I have other leather handbags and have never experienced this.  I am a super fan of Patricia and do have other products of hers.  I feel she puts out products with integrity and talented design of her products.

Is there anyway she could let me know how to wipe this off and if I need to use something to clean it up.  This just baffles me.  I am not a nut or trying to pull a fast one on anyone.  I just want to use my beautiful handbag.

Honored Contributor

Re: Care for Patricia Nash Bag

[ Edited ]

@collielover Did you receive a card with care instructions???

"We highly recommend that you protect your Patricia Nash products from stains and excessive moisture to protect its finish. Due to the natural state of this leather, you should avoid rubbing the leather against rough or sharp surfaces to minimize scratching. Should the product get wet, wipe the liquid immediately and pat loosely with paper, allowing it to dry naturally. We recommend only using our signature Patricia Nash Leather Rejuvenator and Healing Balm to ensure that your leather products remain healthy, soft and supple. Our handbags are treated in production for durability and light moisture protection. However, please be aware that it is natural for leather to transform slightly in color when exposed to the elements.

What is the difference between the leather rejuvenator and the healing balm?
Our Healing Balm is a heavy-duty restoration formula. If you have leather that has been scratched up or is dry to the point of cracking, the healing balm is right for you! The Leather Rejuvenator is best for maintaining and ensuring that your Patricia Nash leather product stays healthy and hydrated."

Honored Contributor

@collielover You should always register your purchase and store them in the protective storage bag that comes with the purse.

Honored Contributor

See the source image

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@collielover, I do not want to make you feel badly, but I never heard of such a thing.

And I am a certified “handbag nut,” with a too big collection of many brands.  The only leather that I can imagine would be affected by water would be Italian leather.  Never had a problem with the many popular brands.  And I have had many for years.

You may want to consider investing in other brands - it is an investment you should be able to enjoy for many years.

Trusted Contributor

My advice is to reach out directly to the Patricia Nash team at her website.  I can tell you from personal experience that they stand behind their products.

Respected Contributor

@collielover   I've had hundreds of leather bags over the years including Patricia Nash, and never heard of a white residue after being stored.  Maybe the last time you used it, you had lotion on your hands and it transferred to the bag......it's a mystery.

If mine, I would get some good leather cleaner and  a soft rag and try to clean it off.  Although they can be expensive, I would try that to try to salvage the bag, otherwise, I don't know what you could do other then contact Patricia Nash customer service.

If you can clean it off, then you can save the bag, and then try to figure out if its unique to that bag, or its a problem from being stored in your closet. 

If you could post some pictures, maybe someone here can to figure it out.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I had a pair of YSL leather shoes that did that.  It was the glue used to attach the sole onto the shoe.  None of my other shoes did that.  Had to throw them away.

I'm using an old leather horse harness as a decorative piece in my Family Room.  I'm always fighting white mold on it, even though it's hung out in the open. No moisture.

Not saying glue is your problem, but it could be something used on this handbag. I'd look for a good leather cleaner to remove the white.

Esteemed Contributor

@collielover : I found this on my PN Nubuck bag purchased last year and stored away for several months until recently. 

The white "powder" was on the leather handles and mag snap flap- not the nubuck. I just dampened a microfiber cloth and wiped the powdery substance of. It has not returned and I have been carrying it this week in the dark green color.

I have tons of bags, including some PN and have never experienced this before. Like you, I was horrified when I removed the bag from being stored for half the year. I purchased my bag from the Q outlet near Studio Park. The bag was not protected in plastic nor boxed as new when purchased. IDK if that made any difference.

Respected Contributor

Search online and read about "Fatty Bloom" or "Fatty Spue" (Spew) on leather. 

LTT Leathercare

What is Spew on leather?

The term Spew or Spue is not what you might think!!

Spew actually refers to the migration of fats/oils from within the leather that crystallize on the surface when they meet the air.

The crystals form on the surface as a white powder or as a ‘bloom’ but are often mistaken for mold or mildew.

The key indicator that you have Spew rather than mold is that Spew is very white in appearance. Mold tends to be green/grey in colour particularly on leather.

Spew can look very powdery (like salts on brickwork) and will be slightly waxy in appearance (try rubbing a bit between your fingers and you will feel this).

Spew forms from the natural fatliquors used during the tanning process and can be caused by a fault during the manufacturing process (usually insufficient degreasing) which is then exacerbated by changes in humidity and temperature.

Spew has become much more common in recent years due to the vast distances that leather and furniture now travels during its production where it is exposed to vast humidity and temperature changes which upset the balance of the fatliquors in the leather which then migrate to the surface.

Another factor that needs to be considered is that Spew can also be caused by the addition of fats or oils as surface dressings on the leather.

Over the years it was thought that ‘conditioning’ leather by using products containing fats and oils to the surface of the leather would extend its life. Now, of course, we know this not to be the case and often using ‘conditioners’ that contain fats or oils can result in spew formation.

To identify Spew simply heat with a hairdryer and it will disappear but will then reappear on the surface.

Don’t use too much heat! It can wreck your leather.

How can we treat Spew on Leather?

Spew cannot be resolved simply by cleaning but fortunately dealing with Spew is a relatively straight forward process – all you require is a correctly formulated Spew Stabilizer (Remover) which will remove the spew from the surface of the leather and restabilize the fatliquors to prevent them coming back to the surface.