My mom wanted me to write this post for Pat Dementri. She saw your recent broadcast for the carbon monoxide detectors. The story Pat told about how her home had carbon monoxide gas and her detectors sounded the alarm was very timely. We thank Pat for sharing her story and wanted to encourage her to continue sharing it. This saves lives. We'll be going on vacation soon and will be taking a carbon monoxide detector with us. Thank you again!

Respected Contributor

Re: Carbon Monoxide Detector.

We rent a house in the Outer Banks every year and have taken our own detectors with us for the past few years. One year I was sitting in the dining room and happened to glance up at the ceiling. The battery case on the smoke detector was open and empty. I showed it to my husband who bought a battery. Since then, we take a couple of detectors and place them on both of the common levels in the house. Ironically, we had been chatting with an owner earlier that week who complained that some renters stole all kinds of things from his house, even the batteries in the smoke alarms. We couldn’t believe anyone would be so chintzy. I guess we found out! 

Regular Contributor

Our carbon monoxide detectors just died this week, 7 years old and wouldn't stop chirping. My husband went out and purchased 2 new carbon monoxide/smoke detectors. These new ones have a 10 year lithium battery so no more worries about chirps in the middle of the night or in a landlord's case renters not stealing the batteries.

Honored Contributor

We have several several carbon monoxide detectors in our campers because they are heated with gas.  We cook with gas too.

We do not have them in our house because we have a total electric home.  They are only needed if you use gas, wood, oil,charcoal or kerosene fuel.  If you heat or cook with fossil fuels, they can save your life.

Esteemed Contributor

I've experienced CO poisoning.  Never forget - it happens just like everyone says.  And it happens fast.  I did not have detectors at the time but fortunately I was awake and figured out what was happening, and saved myself.  Of course detectors were installed that day.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I'm glad Pat shares the story, but after purchasing one of the detectors here they show with her story, and it being defective out of the box, I think they do a real disservice to people and to Pat's story.

I bought it without reading the reviews, and when checking later, couldn't believe how bad they were, and how long QVC keeps trying to sell these highly defective products.