Honored Contributor

Re: Cannot sign in

[ Edited ]

@LTT1 wrote:

@dooBdoo

I am using an iPad IOS 12.1

By expandable, I’m referring to the fact that on an iPad one can pinch to make smaller (or spread fingers to make larger or see more detail.)

The Q site is set up to not allow pinching and zooming, but in various instances one can get it to do this.

I will just not use Safari any more, I guess, although I inserted hypertext about two years ago and used to have it set up to zoom.

Hi, and thanks doob

@LTT1,  Hi, and you're welcome!   With the newer Apple mobile devices the pinch-to-zoom is supposed to be working for you with Safari (you mentoned Safari and Chrome, both) with no extra code or manual effort required on your part.   

The Q site does allow the pinch-to-zoom and we don't have to do anything special to enable it -- I use it constantly on my iPad 6 every day.   It won't work on something like my old iPad 3 since it can't update iOS beyond iOS 9.3.5 but it does work on my iPhone 5 (iOS 10.3.3) and my iPad 6 and it should be working on yours.   I think it's only disabled on those devices that can't move to any of the 10.x iOS versions.

The  most current version now is iOS 12.1.1 so you might want to update to that.

For the problem you illustrated with the screen shots, I suggest that you follow the standard troubleshooting tips I've posted before.   I'll find a copy and add it to this thread -- I have to leave soon, but wanted to try and help before I go.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1, for the login problem you're seeing, I'm thinking that the most important of these are #1, #3, #5, #6, #7 and #8.   My feeling is that there's some residual data or cookies, corrupted or fragmented or out-of-date, on your device causing interference with the login process.

This is a comprehensive list to help clear up many problems, and some of it doesn't apply specifically to this issue on the sign-in screen.   Apologies for the long list, but not much time right now to pare it down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Basic troubleshooting tips for iPad and iPhone (some details might be slightly different for iOS versions greater than 10.x -- when I have more time I need to review this and see if I need to update it, but no time right now):

1.   Be sure you have the most recent version of iOS.

(just go into Settings, choose "General," and then tap "About" to see the "Version.")

2.   Remove any apps you're not using, and any images in the Photos app that you don't need.   

(You also can check to see what's using the most storage by going into Settings-->General-->Storage & iCloud Usage and under "Storage" tap "Manage Storage.")

3.   Close the multi-tasking apps running in the background.

(Double-click the Home button to see recently used apps and then swipe each one up to close all the apps.)

4.   Disable the background app refresh.  In Settings--->General--->Background App Refresh.

5.   Clear cookies, cache and website data in Safari.

(Go to Settings, then choose Safari, then choose "Clear History and Website Data" and tap "Clear" when you see the popup. 

Then, choose Safari, "Advanced," "Website Data," and at the bottom of the list of tracking data tap "Remove All Website Data" and on the popup tap "Remove."  It won't harm anything, your saved login info -- user ID, passwords -- will remain intact.)

6.   Try a simple “Restart”
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears.
Drag the slider to turn your device completely off.
After the device turns off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again until you see the Apple logo.

7.   Try a “Hard Reset"
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button for about eight seconds.  

This will force the device to turn off, even if it's frozen.
If it doesn't automatically restart, just press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until you see the Apple logo.

8.    If you still have problems, perform a sync/backup  (either with iTunes on your computer or on the iCloud -- whatever you normally do).

This should be done frequently, and not only does it ensure you have a good backup it also frees up a substantial amount of space (including removing the stored "Diagnostics & Usage" data) and can clear up a myriad of software glitches.

9.    Completely erasing/resetting the device and restoring it from backup can fix many problems.  

It's imperative that you first perform a complete backup, unless you simply want to remove everything you've saved and restore the device to factory settings and start from scratch.  

Research this first and be 100% sure you're comfortable taking this step, or do it with Apple Support or someone with experience guiding you through it.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LTT1,  Other thoughts about the problem signing in.   Be sure to manually type the email address in, to make certain there's not something like a blank space or invisible control characters.   Also, sometimes an old bookmark will start to cause problems -- complicated to explain right now, but occasionally the changes to the website can cause our old bookmarks to direct us to a part of the server that won't work properly.   For that reason, you might want to clear everything as suggested in the tips and then create a brand new bookmark to enter the site, and see if the login page works any differently that way.   My best to you!   I'll have my iPad with me, and might be able to look in later.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo

I want to thank you once again!

You have clarified for me a question I have had for quite some time, about whether the QVC app is supposed to allow for pinch zooming.

Will continue deleting and updating.

BBL to tell you what else!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@dooBdoo

I want to thank you once again!

You have clarified for me a question I have had for quite some time, about whether the QVC app is supposed to allow for pinch zooming.

Will continue deleting and updating.

BBL to tell you what else!

You're welcome, @LTT1!   Something else occurred to me, so I went into the Safari settings on my iPad 6 and enabled "Block All Cookies."  That caused the login page to do exactly what you're seeing.  Then, when I disabled it, the login worked normally.    So you might want to give that a look -- there are other ways to work with tracking, privacy and security without enabling that specific feature..   Take care, and I hope your day is going well.

Honored Contributor

@EastCoastGal.  Thank you very much!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo

Hoo-ray and thank you! That has to be it!

@dooBdoo

You are wonderful! It worked! Cookies disabled was the problem!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!😍😍😍🥰

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~