Contributor

Can't Send to College daughter HSN

I tried to order and send two pairs of Jeans to my college daughter in a dorm from HSN. After 3 phone calls to HSN and no issues with my account, I found out her dorm Mailing Box is Flagged. Apparently, someone else, we have no idea who it is, has a problem with this mailbox that used to live there and now we can't send anything to this address. This is awful. This has nothing to do with me or my account. This shoud be able to be fixed. So so frustrated. This is a gift and items she would love.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Can't Send to College daughter HSN

[ Edited ]

Did you call the mailroom at her college to ask if the issue is on their end? The college DS attended allowed students to rent a USPS locker on campus for a fee to get packages.

I can't even begin to imagine the headaches of being a Postmaster in a college town.

Honored Contributor

I send my niece stuff to her dorm box from Amazon all the time.

Hopefully by calling the school you can get it resolved.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I had a similar problem; I often buy things for niece and send them to her but when I tried to send some jeans to her, the HSN site would not let me do it. CS would only say that there was "a problem" with the address.   It was the first time I tried to do it on HSN so I assumed we couldn't send to a third party.  She does live in a large apartment building.  Perhaps something has happened with HSN packages in that building.  No problem sending things to her from Evine and Qvc.  

Respected Contributor

Maybe there was a problem with the box earlier - several stolen packages, for example.   

In the meantime, does she have an off-campus friend you can send to?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

qvc wont be able to help you out with this problem unfortunately. you may want to post on the HSN boards even though you said you have contacted HSN customer service three times.

definitely contact the postal service or ups service to see what is going on.

the next best thing would be to have it shipped to you and then send it off to her when you receive it. it will cost you a bit extra, but if you really want her to have it, then this is an option.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Occasional Contributor

I had a similar problem with an order from Evine. I placed an order and it was inexplicably canceled days later. I called in and was told that someone using my address had unpaid payments on an order and it was now in collections. Until it was paid they wouldn't ship anything to my address! I had recently moved into my house, so I assume it was someone who lived there previously. Maybe it is a similar situation for your daughter?

Esteemed Contributor

I used to send packages to my daughter in college- and she'd have to pick them up at the college's  mail services department during the day. She had to show id, present the tracking #, ,etc. A  pain!! - but I'm sure it minimized theft.

Contributor

My daughter's school uses a UPS facilty location for all incoming campus mail. She has a box number. She must present her ID to pick up any mail. All USPS mail also goes through this same facility. I found out  is because someone listed on this address with the old Box number still has not changed their address and has unpaid items.  Although the address and box number are still connected to someone else with unpaid charges. I find it unbelievable and poor customer service that they can't somehow send items to my daughter as my account is in good standing.

I  think the ability to ship an item needs to be tied to a person's account rather than an address for this very reason. We live in a world where people move alot more than they used to as we live in a more transient world. The new younger generations have been studied to change jobs much more frequently than their parent's generations.

More job changes may require more moving.

I ended up sending the items to my home and I will give them to her when I visit her in a couple of weeks. I had already told her they were coming. There will be no other purchases for my college student from HSN. They are creating discontent in their younger adults who utlimately have many more years of purchasing power.  They want to attract these younger adults but need to change with the times.

There are not too many things that I buy for my daughter as she would rather pick things out for herself at this age. I  however, was really very happy with how smooth the delivery of a  Vera Bradley Duffle Bag went with QVC this December. She needed a new more flexible bag to come home for the holdays to squish in an already packed car with 2 other college students. She received the bag with no hiccups and she loved it. I could have purchased this some where else of course.  I definitely would not hesitate to ship through QVC  in the future to my daughter again. . I was expecting the same smooth experience with HSN. 

I was very happy with QVC and it was a great price for the Duffel bag as well. QVC and HSN,  as I understand,  are  also  constantly trying to target a younger audience. My daughter is a freshman in college and a happy customer. She is a good student, tends to be a leader rather than a follower and will be supporting herself soon enough. So by providing good customer service to a parent of a college student they are doing a smart thing by providing a good experience to the college students. My daughter knows what happened with HSN as well.

After talking with her, there still is a stigma for at  home shopping  channels that many believe it is only for older people. QVC recent branding  and logo changes are a reflection of a change to target the audiences and see QVC as younger, fresh and cool. HSN needs to work on shedding that image as well. They should remember their young adult customers. I talked to them and told them it was going to my college age daughter. Bed Bath and Beyond is a great example of how to target this audience. They have a Shop and Hold service. You can shop at your home store  and pick up the items when getting to college They offered a 20 percent off coupon good for a year with a college email. They had a college event that I went to and they do  offer personal service with a employee to help you choose your purchases. I went in and an employee helped me in the store in selecting the best options for me. This is not something I normally expect or need. However, I was very surprised and very happy I had the help. I have 3 kids in college right now.  I asked for the help, wanted the help, and they offered great suggestions. Another great example of good customer service and targeting the young adults. 

Esteemed Contributor

Have your daughter contact student services to remedy whatever the problem is.