Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 28,994
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

I just purchased today's TSV .... the Tracfone. 

 

The charge, with free S & H is $85.96 ...... and the tax is $21.32 .....how is that even possible?    My tax is 9% here in California.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 45,238
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: CHARGED TOO MUCH TAX !!!

Could there be a federal tax on phones?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,343
Registered: ‎06-15-2018

Re: CHARGED TOO MUCH TAX !!!

Try speaking with customer service.  Maybe it was just an error.

QVC Customer Care
Posts: 634
Registered: ‎06-14-2015

Re: CHARGED TOO MUCH TAX !!!

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 I show you spoke with a representative and I hope she was able to explain why the amount seems high. Your State law mandates a compliance fee on prepaid mobile phone services. Effective 1/1/16. your state instituted what they term as a mobile telefony service surcharge. MTS for short.  This is a fee that your state is charging on the purchase of all mobile telephones that ship to the state. I hope this information is helpful. 

Contributor
Posts: 38
Registered: ‎04-23-2010

Re: CHARGED TOO MUCH TAX !!!

This is another  example of  the excessive taxation tactics of CA in an attempt  to raise more money for its almost bankrupt state, and is just another reason why we are moving out of CA next month.  I'm waiting until then to buy another Tracfone.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,178
Registered: ‎09-02-2010

Got to love taxes.  If we buy synthetic oil in Utah, we have to pay an extra out of state tax along with their already high tax.    

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor
Posts: 28,994
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: CHARGED TOO MUCH TAX !!!


@Naneen wrote:

This is another  example of  the excessive taxation tactics of CA in an attempt  to raise more money for its almost bankrupt state, and is just another reason why we are moving out of CA next month.  I'm waiting until then to buy another Tracfone.


@Naneen

 

????     You have old information.   When Arnold left office, the state WAS in very serious financial trouble.  He had no idea what he was doing and we really paid for the mess he made.

 

So, yeah, taxes had to go up to get us out of that hole, but Gov Brown is not a spender, so his financial conservatism currently puts us in a much better place.

 

Last Sunday 60 Minutes did a segment on Gov Jerry Brown and what he has done, and is currently doing.  California now has a VERY large surplus ....  over 8 billion dollars! 

 

The problem has now become that our state representatives want to spend it.

 

Google  CA budget surplus and see for yourself.

 

  

Valued Contributor
Posts: 594
Registered: ‎11-15-2011

Re: CHARGED TOO MUCH TAX !!!

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 - I must disagree.  What about his brilliant idea of the train that has yet to be completed and has displaced so many farmers in the central valley of Calif. from their homes.  The price of construction keeps going up and up and the first phase of this train doesn't make any sense based on its to and from points.  Better to have put that money into our infrastructure that we so desperately need.  As far as taxes on regular merchandise that QVC charges, I don't know what tax table they use because the tax rate to my city in Ca. is currently 7 1/4 %. They always charge way over that.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 28,994
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: CHARGED TOO MUCH TAX !!!


@Wayne-QVC wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 I show you spoke with a representative and I hope she was able to explain why the amount seems high. Your State law mandates a compliance fee on prepaid mobile phone services. Effective 1/1/16. your state instituted what they term as a mobile telefony service surcharge. MTS for short.  This is a fee that your state is charging on the purchase of all mobile telephones that ship to the state. I hope this information is helpful. 


@Wayne-QVC

 

Thanks Wayne.    After I posted this problem, I decided to try speaking to a human being.  She said it has to do with something called a 9-1-1 tax .... I guess I better research this, as I've never heard of it before.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 28,994
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: CHARGED TOO MUCH TAX !!!


@LoveToChat wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 - I must disagree.  What about his brilliant idea of the train that has yet to be completed and has displaced so many farmers in the central valley of Calif. from their homes.  The price of construction keeps going up and up and the first phase of this train doesn't make any sense based on its to and from points.  Better to have put that money into our infrastructure that we so desperately need.  As far as taxes on regular merchandise that QVC charges, I don't know what tax table they use because the tax rate to my city in Ca. is currently 7 1/4 %. They always charge way over that.


 

@LoveToChat

 

Unfortunately, I don't knw enough about why our representatives approved the construction of this train, or why it was thought necessary,  to comment.   As for infrastructure, we've had a LOT of road improvements here in SoCal.   Makes a big difference.