New Contributor

Are items really held in your cart for 1 hour on the app?

I have been told that the item will be held I the cart AND have been told by the rep that nothing is held and you have to check out immediately or the item could be sold out. WHAT IS THE MEANING OF "HELD IN CART FOR ONE HOUR"? That message shows up on every online order. What's the point ??
Super Contributor

Re: Are items really held in your cart for 1 hour on the app?

I'm pretty sure it's only held there if inventory allows, if another customer is ready to check out with the item before your hour is up - they'll get the item. I believe inventory updates as people check out, it's not based on items held in carts/bags.

Honored Contributor

Items in your cart are not taken out of inventory and saved for you for an hour.  They are simply showing in your cart on the website as a convenience so that if you choose to not immediately go through the full checkout process the item(s) will still be showing in your cart for an hour.  After one hour if you do not check out and still wish to order, you'll have to go back to the product page and put them back in your cart.

The inventory is sold to whomever actually places their orders first.  Therefore, if you have items in your cart but do not complete the check out process, it's possible those items may be sold to someone else who does place an order for the same items before you do.

Honored Contributor

It states right on the website that items will be held for one hour.  I've always found this to be the case.  I don't recall having ever lost an item because I didn't check out immediately.  Hosts encourage everyone to check out NOW because they're undoubtedly judged on sales during their shows.  CS reps are notoriously ill informed on many things.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

It states right on the website that items will be held for one hour.  I've always found this to be the case.  I don't recall having ever lost an item because I didn't check out immediately.  Hosts encourage everyone to check out NOW because they're undoubtedly judged on sales during their shows.  CS reps are notoriously ill informed on many things.

I have had items sell out while sitting in my cart before I could check out.

Honored Contributor

I have never tested the system, but I just can't imagine a business operating in the current supply chain mess leaving items in a cart for a possible sale when someone else is ready to commit money!

I give myself a few more minutes of thinking time or checking time because once I put something into my cart, I do not use express checkout.  By the time I do check out finish working through checkout step by step, if I have any doubts, I just don't finish the sale!   It's been a few years already since I wished I hadn't bothered to order what I did.

Trusted Contributor

In my experience, nothing has sold out while my items are in the cart for 60 minutes. Example: I placed an AS IS item in my cart, there was only one in stock as is the case many times with As Is items. I opened another window to check something else out on QVC, probably this Community Menu Woman Happy. I forgot I had two windows open and checked the As Is item and it was there but said SOLD OUT. Then, I realized I had my cart in a separate window, it was still in my cart so I completed the order. After that it was no longer even showing in As Is. This isn't the first time this has happened to me. 

From these experiences, my items have been held for the hour. But, beware, it is only held for exactly one hour. In the past, as long as you were active in your cart the items remained. If you deleted or added it would continue to hold the items. No longer. In 60 minutes, poof, all items are placed in Saved Items. Again, this has been my experiences. 

In addition, I have noticed on the Q if an item is on the site but says Sold Out, it might be that someone has it in their cart. After a period of time I have seen that item return being available (I assume a customer never completed the check out process) and other times the item never appears again (I believe an order was completed). Just my theory but it seems to be the case from my experiences. 

As Kachina said, the hosts get credit for sales. They want you to complete the sale while they are on air, not wait for the hour until another host may be on and they would receive the credit.

Esteemed Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have had items sell out while sitting in my cart before I could check out.

I have too. I put a Susan Graver top in my cart and went back to get matching pants and the top was taken out of my cart within 5 minutes. I shuld have just checked out but I wanted to make sure they had the pants to match in my size first to make an outfit.

Honored Contributor

At best, anything you place in your cart is just to hold it aside, like bookmarking a page, while continuing to shop. 

It doesn't prevent someone else willing to purchase it from buying it because you didn't bother to do so.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44, perfect explanation. I too have had items disappear while shopping for coordinating items.