Trusted Contributor

Re: Amazon Fire TV with Alexa Remote

@annespan wrote:

@Hey Deree, I don't think you will regret not pulling the trigger on this TSV and @ BB you will see other options as well.

I actually bought a pair of Fire Sticks as a TSV a couple years ago and in under a year, one was donated to VVA and the other was relocated to a guest room.  We went back to Roku on the LR and office TVs.  The relative slowness of Fire Stick did not bother so much as did the fact that our apps were often compromised by Amazon's inability to 'play nice' with other companies. 

Two Amazon software releases dimimished our Hulu experience and no joke, we had a guest hassled by yet another Amazon release messing up Hulu only two weeks ago!   Worse, Amazon's spat with Google has made YouTube unavailable on Amazon devices.  Users can access YT via Firefox or Mozilla but due to this extra layer, you can't pick up where you left off if you happen to be watching a movie or program on YT. 

Good luck on your hunt, I know you will find something that works for you!  Woman Happy  

I'm not sure I understand the issues you had with Amazon but I'm hearing that because they didn't play nice it affected your viewing so maybe stay clear of an Amazon device altogether?  I think I'll buy a Roku stick and stream with Sling. That was my original idea. My cable bill will be increased 120% at the end of this month. Thanks for your input!

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Valued Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@annespan wrote:

@Hey Deree, I don't think you will regret not pulling the trigger on this TSV and @ BB you will see other options as well.

I actually bought a pair of Fire Sticks as a TSV a couple years ago and in under a year, one was donated to VVA and the other was relocated to a guest room.  We went back to Roku on the LR and office TVs.  The relative slowness of Fire Stick did not bother so much as did the fact that our apps were often compromised by Amazon's inability to 'play nice' with other companies. 

Two Amazon software releases dimimished our Hulu experience and no joke, we had a guest hassled by yet another Amazon release messing up Hulu only two weeks ago!   Worse, Amazon's spat with Google has made YouTube unavailable on Amazon devices.  Users can access YT via Firefox or Mozilla but due to this extra layer, you can't pick up where you left off if you happen to be watching a movie or program on YT. 

Good luck on your hunt, I know you will find something that works for you!  Woman Happy  

I'm not sure I understand the issues you had with Amazon but I'm hearing that because they didn't play nice it affected your viewing so maybe stay clear of an Amazon device altogether?  I think I'll buy a Roku stick and stream with Sling. That was my original idea. My cable bill will be increased 120% at the end of this month. Thanks for your input!

With the TSV, you can subscribe to and stream with Sling.  

I have one step above basic with cable, and pay too much for that, IMO.  I have more channels available than I watch.  My thought was to get the TSV and subscribe to Sling and save a good bit of money.  

I'm about the most non-techie person ever, though.

Honored Contributor

@Maggie Nolia   I believe you must be a Prime member to access Amazon Video.  I belong to Netflix and have their cheapest plan @ $7.95/ mo.  That's for viewing on one TV at a time and it's a small price to pay for access to hundreds of movies.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

You can get local stations by installing a simple interior antenna.  I got a Mohu Antenna at Amazon (also available at Walmart) for about $12., that you screw into the back of your TV them hang on the wall.  They work best in urban areas.  I get HD and excellent reception on mine.  I get NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, QVC, Q2, a weather channel, the Justice Channel (my go-to) and others including Spanish and religious....about 50 in all.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Just a caveat about antennas though.  I live within two miles of 3 broadcast towers in the city but because my windows face away from the towers and there are tall buildings in between I do not get all network channels.  So locaiton and orientation of your room with the broadcast towers is important. Also different antennas will pick up channels differently so you may have to try several brands of antennas and cost is not a factor in reception. I mean the more expensive antennas might not work better than the less expensive ones.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

I just got an email response from Amazon and they said you do not get any free content with the Amazon Fire TV if you are not an Amazon Prime member.  

Trusted Contributor

Rick, the reason you have dozens of questions per second rolling in on your FB page is because people are not understanding too many things in this presentation!

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Maggie Nolia@   I believe you must be a Prime member to access Amazon Video.  I belong to Netflix and have their cheapest plan @ $7.95/ mo.  That's for viewing on one TV at a time and it's a small price to pay for access to hundreds of movies.

I do have Prime.

I don't watch many movies, so that's not a priority to me.

Glad the guy mentioned DirecTV Now which actually covers more channels that I watch as opposed to Sling.  

He also suggested to keep basic cable which defeats my goal.

I need help with setup. Followed directions that came with cube, but I get no

response from tv. Do I need to disconnect my cable box? Use just my tv remote?

Alexa remote gets me nowhere. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any support