Trusted Contributor

Amazon Fire TV with Alexa Remote

I am hoping for a simple answer to what I think is a simple question about the TSV that the representative did not adequately answer during the presentation.

The rep. said you get "tons of free content if you have an Amazon account." (paraphrasing)  He never mentioned the word Prime.

So do  you have to be an Amazon Prime member to get free content with this device?

Do you get any free content if you are not a Prime member, but have an Amazon.com account (as the rep. led us to believe)?

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Fire TV with Alexa Remote

By the time I heard them talking about Amazon Prime, I had already realized all my TV's are too old to have the necessary connection portals, but I think he said you need an Amazon account but not a Prime membership.  I do have an account with user name, etc. but not a Prime membership, so I almost ordered the FireStick with the idea that I really should own at least one newish TV.

QVC Customer Care

@Deree wrote:

I am hoping for a simple answer to what I think is a simple question about the TSV that the representative did not adequately answer during the presentation.

The rep. said you get "tons of free content if you have an Amazon account." (paraphrasing)  He never mentioned the word Prime.

So do  you have to be an Amazon Prime member to get free content with this device?

Do you get any free content if you are not a Prime member, but have an Amazon.com account (as the rep. led us to believe)?

@Deree  This is some of the information I have listed for this item..... I hope it helps.  

Q: Do you need an Amazon Prime account to use this?
A: No you do not. But a Prime account gives you access to additional
content

Q: Are all the channels free?
A: No, there is both free and paid subscription content available

Q: Do I need to purchase an Alexa device to use the voice remote feature?
A: No, this has Alexa built into it. But if you have an another Alexa
device, it will interface with the Fire TV.

Q: Can it be use with non-4K TVs?
A: Yes it is backward compatible

Q: Can you receive local TV stations with the Fire TV?
A: Not unless they offer streaming services.

Q: Do I have to have a Smart TV?
A: No, but you have to have Wi-Fi to connect the Fire TV.

Q: Do I have to pay subscription fees to use this?
A: No, there is free content as well as subscription contect.

Q: Why do I need Amazon Fire TV when I already have a Smart TV?
A: When you add Fire TV to your smart TV and make your TV even smarter.
The Fire TV provides a lot more options and content that a traditional
Smart TV. It also receives updates and new content on a regular basis.
Most Smart do not have the ability to expand their choices.
Fire TV also has Alexa built in. The brain inside the Fire TV allows you
to not only search for your favorite shows with your voice but also
access weather, news, recipes, etc.
Plus you can control your smart hone devices as well.

Q) Can I get local channels on the Amazon Fire TV.
A) You need to research the different apps available. There are several
that allow for local broadcast channels. Other than that you can
purchase a digital antenna.

Honored Contributor

I would also add that even with a Prime account, sometimes a series will have the first episode free with Prime, but then you have to pay for the rest of the episodes.

Even with Prime, you still have to pay for a good share of the content on there.  

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

@Melvin-QVC wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Deree  This is some of the information I have listed for this item..... I hope it helps.  

A: No you do not. But a Prime account gives you access to additional
content

A: No, there is both free and paid subscription content available

Q: Do I need to purchase an Alexa device to use the voice remote feature?
A: No, this has Alexa built into it. But if you have an another Alexa
device, it will interface with the Fire TV.

Q: Can it be use with non-4K TVs?
A: Yes it is backward compatible

Q: Can you receive local TV stations with the Fire TV?
A: Not unless they offer streaming services.

Q: Do I have to have a Smart TV?
A: No, but you have to have Wi-Fi to connect the Fire TV.

A: No, there is free content as well as subscription contect.

Q: Why do I need Amazon Fire TV when I already have a Smart TV?
A: When you add Fire TV to your smart TV and make your TV even smarter.
The Fire TV provides a lot more options and content that a traditional
Smart TV. It also receives updates and new content on a regular basis.
Most Smart do not have the ability to expand their choices.
Fire TV also has Alexa built in. The brain inside the Fire TV allows you
to not only search for your favorite shows with your voice but also
access weather, news, recipes, etc.
Plus you can control your smart hone devices as well.

Q) Can I get local channels on the Amazon Fire TV.
A) You need to research the different apps available. There are several
that allow for local broadcast channels. Other than that you can
purchase a digital antenna.

Thank you @Melvin-QVC, but the 3 relevant Q&A's you provided still do not answer my question:  I wish someone would give me this information -- I can't purchase unless I know. It almost feels like this information is being withheld to get people to buy it.

A: No you do not. But a Prime account gives you access to additional content  ("giving access" does not say whether  it would be free content or whether you have to pay for that content)

A: No, there is both free and paid subscription content available (obviously, there would be free content for Prime members. Is there free content to non-Prime members as well?)

A: No, there is free content as well as subscription contect. (again, free content for whom? non-Prime members?)

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks @VaBelle35. That's what I suspected.  As the saying goes, "If it's too good to be true......"

I suppose if someone doesn't already have a streaming device, they could go with this.

Respected Contributor

@Deree wrote:

You get some free Amazon content if you have an Amazon Prime account.

There are lots of apps with content, like YouTube or PBS that you can see for free if you have a free YouTube or PBS account. Some, like CW Seed, you may be able to watch without an account.

There are other apps, like Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo, Acorn TV, or CBS All Access that require a paid subscription.

There are OTHER apps that don't require a subscription but DO require you to have a Cable account to log in, like HBO (if you're already paying for HBO via your cable company, you don't need another subscription to use the HBO app) and some others. 

Trusted Contributor

Are my posts being removed?  I don't understand.

Trusted Contributor

So much conflicting information during this 6 p.m. presentation.  For example, it was said that you could get local network channels with the Amazon Fire but then the rep. said you should keep your cable for network channels , but just get rid of the premium channels to save the big money.

I decided for $20 more I'm going to go to Best Buy where I can talk to a person in a calm environment and ask all my questions and probably get a personal demo. This is too frenzied and conflicting a presentation for me.

Super Contributor

Hey Deree, I don't think you will regret not pulling the trigger on this TSV and @ BB you will see other options as well.

I actually bought a pair of Fire Sticks as a TSV a couple years ago and in under a year, one was donated to VVA and the other was relocated to a guest room.  We went back to Roku on the LR and office TVs.  The relative slowness of Fire Stick did not bother so much as did the fact that our apps were often compromised by Amazon's inability to 'play nice' with other companies. 

Two Amazon software releases dimimished our Hulu experience and no joke, we had a guest hassled by yet another Amazon release messing up Hulu only two weeks ago!   Worse, Amazon's spat with Google has made YouTube unavailable on Amazon devices.  Users can access YT via Firefox or Mozilla but due to this extra layer, you can't pick up where you left off if you happen to be watching a movie or program on YT. 

Good luck on your hunt, I know you will find something that works for you!  Woman Happy