Honored Contributor

Re: yesterday wad the postal food drive.

Sorry about the typo in the title - it won't let me edit it.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

DH & i plus the mailman we were assigned to picked up 42 boxes of food. Ironically, we had the same route as last year and got the same # of boxes! Someone at our church said her & her friend got 95. WOW, we got half that & we were exhausted. Came home so tired we went to bed at 9PM.

@151949

This is how "great" our mail person is........first of all I got several of my neighbor's mail in my box.....and we didnt even receive notice of the Food Drive.   Oh well, made a donation to the Food Bank....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@151949so sweet of you to treat the horses.I also think that you are very k8nd to pick up all of those food donations.

While I donated at the mailbox station this year,I might have been the only one.We didn’t see any bags there Friday night but hopefully people put some out early Saturday.I am in an extremely needy state where there are an abundance of homeless and lower income families and it just keeps increasing.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I'm always glad to hear that food drives do well. I was really shocked by my neighboors. We were the only ones ,on our street ,that gave..I hope they gave elsewhere, even if it was only a can of soup. It all adds up

@cherry, I'm the only one on my block that donated food ( this is every year). I really hate to think my neighbors don't care, I give them the benefit of the doubt they aren't aware of it.

Respected Contributor

NO notice.  Got a couple of days of mail, looked like mostly junk late on Friday.  Saturday am went thru it and wondered what is his blue bag?  Too late.  We have community mail boxes.  A simple notice on the,box earlier in the week would have been nice.

Honored Contributor

Because we live so far from our main post office, our mail gets delivered from the main post office in the next town over, which is also in a different county.

We don't donate to the postal food drive because it goes out of town and county.  Instead we make donations directly to our township food bank.

Frequent Contributor

I put out a bag of canned goods, but the mail carrier did not take it.  Delivered the mail, but left the food.  Same thing happened last year.

Honored Contributor

@LiveLaughLove wrote:

I put out a bag of canned goods, but the mail carrier did not take it.  Delivered the mail, but left the food.  Same thing happened last year.

In some communities the mail carrier picks it up , in some volunteers pick it up and in some, like mine, we do both. Each team of volunteers is assigned a carrier's route & given his phone #. This way we meet him a few times during the day and empty his truck into ours, so he doesn't have to deal with what he collects all day. For some reason you have to keep count of how many boxes you collect - we collected 27 & our carrier collected 15.

Honored Contributor

@LiveLaughLove wrote:

@LiveLaughLove.  It was voluntary for a Post Office to participate. Maybe your PO chose not to.

Honored Contributor

We are rural and they just don't involve those of us in the woods.  St. Vincent's has a local food pantry, SA has some in different towns.  Periodically I accumulate those impulse food purchases I know I will never use, plus some basic staples like soup.  This box is added to my bag of clothing and extra collectibles bought at auction that won't go into my antique booth.