Trusted Contributor

Re: yesterday wad the postal food drive.

We received our notice and bag nearly a week ago. The USPS in our community is wonderful about doing this and encouraging contributions through local media.  One community indicated they would collect approximately 16 tons and that would last about a month at the local food bank.  We, too, notice how few of our neighbors donate.

We always give and provide items that we would want to eat; no "cleaning out" your pantry as suggested by one local media person. We will go to Sam's and get the multipacks of canned chicken or tuna along with other staples and will include treats also such as cake mixes or brownie mixes.

FYI: Our local postal service collects food on Monday; perhaps yours will as well.

Trusted Contributor

@Zernia Rose

I did clean out my pantry.  Before the holidays, I accidently ordered two of several baking items when I only wanted and needed one, and overbought dried fruits.  

I was also recently diagnosed with a health issue which means eliminating or limiting several items, some which that I had recently stocked up on.  Giving those items helps me too; I don’t have to look at those items and be tempted. 

So, it all depends on what cleaning out the pantry means and what is in your pantry.  I admit I wasn’t very nice about donating when we had the school food drives.  As a child, when there were food drives, my idea of donating food was to raid the shelves for all the cans of the vegetables I didn’t like!  

(I wasn’t always able to succeed in clearing the shelves of the Yucky spinach and beets but, I sure tried!)

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@trenet wrote:

I live in a small apt. complex. My bag was the only one.  Postperson left postcards on Thursday and bags on Friday. 

I put mine by the mailboxes (sheltered) late Friday to make sure it was out.

My bag wasn’t taken. I called local post office, mail truck had just driven away

and told she would try to call delivery person or send someone else around,  (wasn’t our regular person) 

I brought the bag back upstairs late last night - someone had taken the bags of dates and a plastic jar of peanuts!    

I might call the post office Monday, maybe our regular delivery person can still take what remains. 

That's really low...

@CelticCrafter

Isn’t it though? Makes me wonder about my neighbours.  Only 16 units in gated complex so, likely someone who lives here.  

Trusted Contributor

Trenet, you  are correct. It does depend on how one interprets the phrase "clean out your pantry."  The manner in which the local media person used the phrase could be construed in a less positive fashion. I should have provided more context.   Great that you were able to give items that will be appreciated and I hope your health issues are resolved.

Honored Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

So lovely of you to report back every year. You must be rather proud. 

I am proud of my neighborhood and mail carriers participation.  I am also a long time volunteer at the local food bank where we sort and distribute the food.  

Honored Contributor

I just got home from being at the church - the lady who runs the jubilee center told me we collected 434 boxes all together. Over twice what we got previous years. Since about 3/4 of the homes in our community are empty now because the season is over and the snowbirds have flown north, this will be the food to last throughout the summer. Now the real work is going on, sorting and storing all this food.

Our post office is great and really works toward this food drive. Today they have 25 volunteers at the food bank and several of those are postal employees on their day off.