Trusted Contributor

Re: yesterday wad the postal food drive.

@jlkz

I think the year-round need was why the Letter Carriers originally chose times not too close to the holidays.  I think they also collect in early October. 

I was was disappointed that baby food was not a permitted donation, except in palettes. (I bought some to eat after I had a tooth pulled. The fruit I can use in little teabreads but, the main courses?) 

Honored Contributor

My neighbor and I put out a bag.  Both were picked up.  Didn't see any other bags out.  

Honored Contributor

Several of my neighbors had the blue bags filled and sitting in front of their mail boxes.  Mail carrier picked them all up.  They always do a good job.  There are volunteers at the post office to unload the bags and take them to the food bank.  

Honored Contributor

So lovely of you to report back every year. You must be rather proud. 

Honored Contributor

We have a street lockbox.  I received a card about  the food drive last Wednesday with a plastic bag so I am sure everyone on the street  received  the same in their mailbox.  

I put my  3 bags  of food out  early Saturday Morning....no other bags were out.... the mail man came very early( BEFORE  9AM😮)  And no other bags were out there but mine.....I wonder if the mailman coming EARLY just  did not give people time to get their donations out? Just a guess....

Honored Contributor

@LiveLaughLove wrote:

I put out a bag of canned goods, but the mail carrier did not take it.  Delivered the mail, but left the food.  Same thing happened last year.

@LiveLaughLove  Did you receive a card and plastic bag in your mail box for donating? Seems odd that a mailman would not pickup a donation☹️

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

My postal carrier picked up my donation ( I was the only one on my block who donated). If you are fortunate enough to have a roof over your head, enough food to eat, and are employed you are blessed. Those that don't feel the need to donate to their local food bank would think quite differently if their circumstances changed. 

@Jordan2  👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Honored Contributor

@trenettry using the main courses in soup or meatloaf,spaghetti sauce or any sauce you can hid3 them out in.

Trusted Contributor

We received the notice about a week ago. There was a postcard and an empty blue grocery bag in the mailbox.  I dontated all the extra supplies we bought last fall when we were under a hurricane watch.  Peanut butter, jellies, canned tuna, etc.  I think this was the first time our post office particpated.

Respected Contributor

We've never received a bag and haven't received a notice for (at least) the last 2 years.  Luckily @gidgetgh reminds us every year.

I had a bag full waiting by the front door and when I saw our (new) mail carrier Thursday, asked if she would take it.

I have no ideas whether or not our neighbors gave.  For all I know one of them could be posting here, commenting she/he was the only one in the neighborhood who gave.