Trusted Contributor

Re: yesterday wad the postal food drive.

I live in a small apt. complex. My bag was the only one.  Postperson left postcards on Thursday and bags on Friday. 

I put mine by the mailboxes (sheltered) late Friday to make sure it was out.

My bag wasn’t taken. I called local post office, mail truck had just driven away

and told she would try to call delivery person or send someone else around,  (wasn’t our regular person) 

I brought the bag back upstairs late last night - someone had taken the bags of dates and a plastic jar of peanuts!    

I might call the post office Monday, maybe our regular delivery person can still take what remains. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@LiveLaughLove wrote:

I put out a bag of canned goods, but the mail carrier did not take it.  Delivered the mail, but left the food.  Same thing happened last year.

@LiveLaughLove.  It was voluntary for a Post Office to participate. Maybe your PO chose not to.

If that's the case, then they shouldn't leave the cards in the mailbox.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@LiveLaughLove wrote:

I put out a bag of canned goods, but the mail carrier did not take it.  Delivered the mail, but left the food.  Same thing happened last year.

@LiveLaughLove.  It was voluntary for a Post Office to participate. Maybe your PO chose not to.

If that's the case, then they shouldn't leave the cards in the mailbox.

@CelticCrafter.  Yes, I agree. I didn't see where the poster said she had received a card. That's why I posted they don't all participate. Of course if she got the card they should have collected. Sorry I misspoke.

Respected Contributor

I live in a large apartment complex. Our mail is delivered to a community mail center.

We received bags on Friday with no directions as to where they should be left. I wasn't home most of the day, so I don't know what other people did. Had we been told to drop off the bags at the office of the complex, for example, that would have helped.

I don't know if any donations were given from here.

Poor planning/no planning.

Respected Contributor

Annual food drives are great....but people go hungry all year long.

There are several food banks that I contribute to.  After visiting one, I noticed a lot of canned good and some cleaning supplies on the shelves.  I was bringing more of the same, so I asked a volunteer what else do they need.

After listening to her reply, I decided from there on end I would write quarterly checks.  They would be used to buy dairy and meat for the banks.  Holidays seem to bring a lot of meat products....it is the time in-between when families need protein-building foods.

Wish I had started to do this years ago !!!

I never knew that in my community there were folks who went hungry.  They are so hidden.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@trenet wrote:

I live in a small apt. complex. My bag was the only one.  Postperson left postcards on Thursday and bags on Friday. 

My bag wasn’t taken. I called local post office, mail truck had just driven away

and told she would try to call delivery person or send someone else around,  (wasn’t our regular person) 

I brought the bag back upstairs late last night - someone had taken the bags of dates and a plastic jar of peanuts!    

I might call the post office Monday, maybe our regular delivery person can still take what remains. 

@trenetthree years in a row I left groceries in clear view on my doorstep with the PO card attached and no one picked it up so I donated it to a local foodbank.  Now I have moved and saw a bag of groceries left in our outdoor condo entrance and it is still there.  It's a terrific idea but if the PO isn't going to fully support this effort I am afraid they are losing willing participants each year.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

My postal carrier picked up my donation ( I was the only one on my block who donated). If you are fortunate enough to have a roof over your head, enough food to eat, and are employed you are blessed. Those that don't feel the need to donate to their local food bank would think quite differently if their circumstances changed. 

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Annual food drives are great....but people go hungry all year long.

There are several food banks that I contribute to.  After visiting one, I noticed a lot of canned good and some cleaning supplies on the shelves.  I was bringing more of the same, so I asked a volunteer what else do they need.

After listening to her reply, I decided from there on end I would write quarterly checks.  They would be used to buy dairy and meat for the banks.  Holidays seem to bring a lot of meat products....it is the time in-between when families need protein-building foods.

Wish I had started to do this years ago !!!

I never knew that in my community there were folks who went hungry.  They are so hidden.

Our local food bank will only take food.  Nothing else, no laundry supplies, cleaning, soap, toothpaste, mouthwash, etc. 

It doesn't make sense - if people need help with groceries, I'm sure they need things I mentioned too.

With coupons, loyalty cards and sales we are able to get a lot of those things for almost free - too much for us to ever use or store - we aren't crazy, extreme couponers! 

We finally found an organizaiton that will take the personal care items but it took a while to find one. 

Trusted Contributor

@momtochloe

This is the first year in at least 10 that my bag wasn’t picked up. Ironically, I was giving more this year. Only one bag but, packed full (at least it was until someone took the dates and nuts).  

Postcards and bags had been left and even a postcard taped above the mailboxes. I thought since the person I talked to at the local branch said someone would be around that they were supportive.  I even confirmed that whoever was sent would have the gate code and was assured they had it.  

Honored Contributor

@trenet wrote:

That's really low...