Honored Contributor

yesterday was the postal food drive.

[ Edited ]

DH & i plus the mailman we were assigned to picked up 42 boxes of food. Ironically, we had the same route as last year and got the same # of boxes! Someone at our church said her & her friend got 95. WOW, we got half that & we were exhausted. Came home so tired we went to bed at 9PM.

Honored Contributor

Re: yesterday wad the postal food drive.

I'm always glad to hear that food drives do well. I was really shocked by my neighboors. We were the only ones ,on our street ,that gave..I hope they gave elsewhere, even if it was only a can of soup. It all adds up

Honored Contributor

Ours wasn't planned very well. Bags were in Friday's mail for a Saturday pickup. We were out of town, but my neighbor put some canned goods in our bag on our behalf. 

Respected Contributor

I at least got notice on Thur. so I was able to pick up items on Fri. when I went to Wegman's, but I wish they would give notice a week ahead or more. I put my bag out around 8:30 a.m. (triple bagged as it was raining.) I didn't see anybody else have anything out. I left at 9 a.m. and got back after the pickup so I don't know how well things went.

Honored Contributor

It’s held on the same day every year. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

We had one in our mail box also but didn't feel good about donating here in CA.  We have a community locked box, not a box out in front of our home.  Just seemed wierd.

Esteemed Contributor

I quadrapooled bagged two plastic grocery bags (rain predicted); just had beans, soup, puddings and mixations in cupboard - had an extra box of cereal on-hand (my fave) so was selfish and kept it:womanembarrassed - selfish, I know, but was really in the modd for Special K with strawberries!  I'll do better next year.Woman Wink

None of the neighbors gave, but don't blame them.  No notice was left in mail beforehand as in past years.  There was a small notice in the town paper and had I not read about it here in these forums, probably wouldn't have known it was this weekend.

Perhaps had it been better publicized locally, response would have been much better!  There's always very good response in this town when they have food drives.  Last fall, our local grocery store had pre-filled bags that you could purchase and drop off there and it worked out very well; our Fire and PD depts annually have a contest annually to collect toys and another to collect food also held in the grocery store pkg lot and they also get an unbelievable response - forgot who won which won this year - but, everyone enjoys giving!  So, I think the PO dropped the ball this year!

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

It’s held on the same day every year. 

It's always the day before Mother's Day.

Honored Contributor

We never received the bags, as we had no mail delivery on Friday due to road resurfacing.  Fortunately, I give to other food drives during the course of the year.

Honored Contributor

We have had the same route for 4 years now - we can predict way ahead of time who will give and who won't. 

As our route takes us through several horse farms we get to pet the nose of many horses. They are curious and will come to the fence to see what we are doing. I take a bag of apples to give them a treat. Any way we saw one truely majestic bay colored horse ( brown with black lower legs and black mane & tail) and while I was cutting the apple her owner came out and was telling me about her.I gave her her apple pieces - i always cut the fruit off the core for them - she was nudging my neck, so she is both beautiful and sweet.Her name is Joy.