Honored Contributor

Re: would you go to a speech where the speaker was grossly over paid?

You know that things are upside down when Teresa Guidice got $35,000 (plus expenses) just to pose for pictures!!!!

Een worse - Kim Kardashian, Scott Disick and the rest of them get $100,000 AND UP to go to parties, sit in the VIP section and wave for a few hours.

I read she gets $500,000 for an appearance in Dubai - where for some reason the family is very popular.

Valued Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I just read someone is getting $65,000 for 10 minutes. They are really no one special, in the greater scheme of things

I think speaking fees are way out of line

I think being the child of a former president and living in the White House for 8 years would qualify one as being "special," if for no other reason than there are only a handful of people with those credentials.  She was also an NBC News special correspondent for three years.

From the Washington Post:

The schedule she negotiated called for her to speak for 10 minutes, participate in a 20-minute, moderated question and answer session and spend a half-hour posing for pictures with VIPs offstage.

As with Hillary Clinton’s paid speeches at universities, Chelsea Clinton made no personal income from the appearance, her spokesman said, and directed her fee to the Bill, Hillary and Chelsea Clinton Foundation.

By the way, HC was asking $275,000 for the appearance, which is why the university opted for Chelsea instead.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. -- Oscar Wilde
Honored Contributor

Is this a polictial thread??

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cowboy sam wrote:

I didn't intend it to be, but it seems others won't let just a general question stand without  putting politics into the mix

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

You know that things are upside down when Teresa Guidice got $35,000 (plus expenses) just to pose for pictures!!!!

Een worse - Kim Kardashian, Scott Disick and the rest of them get $100,000 AND UP to go to parties, sit in the VIP section and wave for a few hours.

I read she gets $500,000 for an appearance in Dubai - where for some reason the family is very popular.

From what I've read, these younger media grabbers do a bit more than make speeches for these exorbitant fees.Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

"Meet with VIPS" - actually means "Meet with people who paid extra for VIP tickets - with the money going to the school."

That's how schools can justify high speaking fees - they make money through ticket sales.

"Grossly overpaid" is your opinion - the speaker may have been a bargain and made a lot of money for the school.

Now $100,000 to Scott Disick to get drunk and wasted at a Vegas bar - THAT's grossly overpaid to me...but he wouldn't keep getting that kind of $$$ if the businesses didn't make a profit. The day he stops drawing crowds will be the day his "career" is over!

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@cowboy sam wrote:

I didn't intend it to be, but it seems others won't let just a general question stand without  putting politics into the mix

If you indeed had someone specific in mind and it's recent news that others (not I) apparently recongnized, then yes, it would be a political thread.

Personally, I would have preferred knowing what this was about going in. Be upfront, even if it means your thread won't last. Otherwise, this is just a mish-mash, IMO.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@cowboy sam wrote:

If you indeed had someone specific in mind and it's recent news that others (not I) apparently recongnized, then yes, it would be a political thread.

Personally, I would have preferred knowing what this was about going in. Be upfront, even if it means your thread won't last. Otherwise, this is just a mish-mash, IMO.

You hit the nail on the head.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

It was a object for conversation no more, nor less. I think I am better equipped to know what I meant than either of you

Honored Contributor

Cherry, if I was going to an event that had a speaker I can guarantee you that I wouldn't know what he/she was being paid to speak at the event.  I guess I haven't heard enough "famous" people do any public speaking.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise